Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Anyone shoot bismuth for duck hunting? >

Anyone shoot bismuth for duck hunting?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone shoot bismuth for duck hunting?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone shoot bismuth for duck hunting?

How many of you have used bismuth shot for waterfowl hunting?

I ask because I had to buy some bismuth shotshells for duck hunting last year since I had sold my 835 and only had access to older shotguns that couldn't take steel shot. Despite not having many opportunities to use them, it seemed like they killed a little more reliably and quickly than when I used steel. When I drew a proper bead on the ducks, they fell with hardly a twitch. Since I've still got a lot of bismuth shot left over from last year, I'm going to keep using it this year.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used nothing but Bismuth since it originally hit the the market for geese and ducks! I only shoot side by side shotguns and I will not shoot steel or any of the steel variations. Bismuth has gone through three different companies since it hit the market, I have a full box of 25 shells that were made by the original company in the white, red and green box. Bismuth shot has done all I ask of it and I do not have to worry about damage to my shotgun. I still have some of the original full ten shot boxes because I and my hunting partners would buy it by the case right from the manufacturer. Before Bismuth was legal as a non toxic shot in PA I went to a seminar by the original Bismuth shot company and shot 5 stand and sporting clays with the shot, got to understand what it was and how it was safe for thin walled double barrel and o/u shotguns. I brought the info back to PA and PA legalized it as soon as the feds did.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Bismuth whenever I use an O/U for waterfowl. Normally I shoot Hevi Shot in pumps and autos. I think the Bismuth is about on par with steel for effectiveness, and it is easy on barrels.