Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Meat

Old 04-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What is Game flavor? I have been hunting for over 50 ears and I keep hearing that word. Rabbit tastes like rabbit, pheasant tastes like pheasant, deer taste like venison, doves taste like doves etc.
I too have wondered the same thing.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

People are used to the corn feed flavor of beef, chicken and pork.

You are what you eat is literal. I can taste the difference between valley deer eating soybean, corn and clover and mountain deer eating acorns and various different browse.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Game taste" or "game flavor" to me is in the blood. The more blood I can get out of the game meat, the less the game meat tastes like beef liver or a similar dark, bloody cut of meat. I prefer to remove the blood. To each his own.

I agree with the above that acorn fed, southern Missouri venison tastes different from grain fed, central Illinois venison. I suspect this flavor is in the fat.