Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

goose field spread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default goose field spread

Do you like to setup where the birds have to come over to get down or beyond the decoys so they are landing in front of you?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I set up with the decoys all in range, thicker on the outside thining as they come closer with a lot of room to land at about 25 yards in front of us. I like to get them when they are committed to land, sometimes we let some touch down, then start to take them. If you set your decoys so they pass over you, you give them too much time to look and see you, you want them looking at the decoys.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I set up with the decoys all in range, thicker on the outside thining as they come closer with a lot of room to land at about 25 yards in front of us. I like to get them when they are committed to land, sometimes we let some touch down, then start to take them. If you set your decoys so they pass over you, you give them too much time to look and see you, you want them looking at the decoys.
+1

.............only thing to add is; wind at your back when ever possible.

The birds will want to fly into the wind to land.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Agrees with my thinking. Last weekend we tried it with the decoys behind us and shooting the geese as they flew over. Shot plenty of geese but we had a lot vear off and not give us a good shot. Just looked like it could have been better had we been south of the decoys with the south wind.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
Agrees with my thinking. Last weekend we tried it with the decoys behind us and shooting the geese as they flew over. Shot plenty of geese but we had a lot vear off and not give us a good shot. Just looked like it could have been better had we been south of the decoys with the south wind.
Then if you noticed this while the geese where NOT doing what you wanted them to do. Then why did you not move your blinds(Lay-outs I assume) into the position that would have afforded you the setting you desired?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I was hunting with guys that know better than I do.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
I was hunting with guys that know better than I do.
Seems to me that they don't for they should have noticed this as well and moved. My opinion. Now you know for future referrence.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Spike

Thanks for sharing this gig here, I would like to know about all this stuffs and information. I was looking forward for this type of thread.