Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

muscovy duck

Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default muscovy duck

anyone ever try to eat one? I know people have but I don't want to kill one, cook it and find out they taste gross lol
Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

We used to raise hundreds of them growing up. Everyone came to my dads store and wanted them for christmas and thanksgiving. Taste great!!! Can't tell them from mallards or small geese. We always sold over 50-100 for the holidays. I know, I was the one doing the cleaning!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never killed one, never ate one. They were all over the Florida Panhandle when I lived in Pensacola. You coulld fill the back of a pickup with them using a slingshot if you wanted to.

I do know they eat a lot of them in other parts of the world though. That's how they got here in the first place, as livestock.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Never killed one, never ate one. They were all over the Florida Panhandle when I lived in Pensacola. You coulld fill the back of a pickup with them using a slingshot if you wanted to.

I do know they eat a lot of them in other parts of the world though. That's how they got here in the first place, as livestock.
If you've got a retriever, you really don't need to shoot them. The dog can just grab them for you. They're not real smart.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by tcshooter View Post
If you've got a retriever, you really don't need to shoot them. The dog can just grab them for you. They're not real smart.
I have a irish setter / black lab but he is a wimp lol!

I have a bunch by my lake, might just take my bow out, pop one off and try it out.. :P
Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a recipe for brining duck, and enjoy.