Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New Too Duck Hunting

Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Spike

Default New Too Duck Hunting

I am still pretty new to duck hunting and I am not sure on what a good flock of decoys would be for smaller ponds. I mostly hunt mallards and wood ducks. If anyone has any tips for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

You don't need a big spread for a small pond if you're looking at 3 or less acre ponds, I would just throw about half a dozen to a dozen. Make sure that the wind is at your back as ducks prefer to land into the wind. As far as type, just throw in a group of mallard then toss a few woodies a few yards apart from the rest. For smaller areas you don't really need an elaborate set up. In fact, we hunted a few small ponds, we would gang tie about 5 or 6 deeks together just throw them in and we did just fine.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Spike

generally speaking, you need at least 200 for a good attractor................Wanna buy some dekes?