Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do it yourself flocking?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Question Do it yourself flocking?

Anyone have any experience with the do it yourself flocking that comes in a bag? I am thinking about trying it on some older decoy floaters but didn't know if it would be worth the hassel. Is there a certain brand better than the next? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

It's fun and easy. I wanted to improve the look of some of my old goose decoys so I bought a kit and did a few heads and tails. Later when I wanted to do some more, the "paint" that came with the kit was dried out. So then I used flat black Rust-Oleum from a can and brushed it on. THICK. That worked really good! I don't know if I'm getting more geese closer, but my decoys look good.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I used it with great success - it is messy but the kit does 4 dozen decoys I believe and mine came out just fine!

JW
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help! Just bought some black flocking that came with a connector that connects to an air compressor thought that may be easier to do then a paint brush!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Exclamation

"air compressor" ???? Wow! You better wear a face mask and be outside. I just put on a thick coat of paint and then use a kitchen strainer (sieve). Put flocking in the sieve and gently shake it over the wet paint to get a nice even coating of flocking. Do it over a box to collect material that doesn't stick and use it again. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Spike

Which kit did you buy Team Radical? Im wanting to do some mallard decoys and cant figure out which kit to get.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

I used the goose flocking kit from fowl flocker: http://www.fowlflocker.com/ They turned out pretty good if you use the bag method of applicating it. I would not recommend using their air compressor attachment (junk.)

I was also looking at trying the flocking from this company next time they look pretty good as well.

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products...ng/goose.shtml

Make sure you wear gloves!! It can get a bit messy lol
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well I am on my third year after flocking and with a bit of care they still look good. Far better than the normal paint job.

Be safe out there!

JW