Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Home made duck blind

Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default Home made duck blind

My sons and I made this in one weekend. I used 1 1/4 pcv pipe for weight and stability. I went with a 90 degree "L" shaped roof for concealment and cover from the weather. Most PCV blinds use 45 degree angle roof, which in my opinon, leave too much of an opening to be concealed.

Blind is 16' long (there are 4 of us that hunt) so there is ample room. The 5 center pieces come out and can be replaced with 4" pieces shortening length to 10' for just 2 hunters. Also with 4 x 90 degree elbows on 4" pipe you can also make it a 5' blind. Size can be adjusted for how many people are hunting. The width is 4' with a roof over hang of 2'. Walls and roof break down into 6 sections with dividers that put in while in the field.

Final steps will be covering with shadow grass mats. I will attatch a tarp under grass on roof to let rain run off back on blind. I'm debating on getting very thin wood and attaching around outside of blind to keep wind from coming through then covering with grass mats.

We hunt private property and are not able to build a perma blind. For open fields we will still use layout blinds, but having a standing blind sure helps when you hunt with fidgity kids who need to move around to stay happy.

Total cost for all supplies and camo paint. $136.

Attached Thumbnails Home made duck blind-img_1087.jpg   Home made duck blind-img_1099.jpg   Home made duck blind-img_1100.jpg   Home made duck blind-img_1103.jpg  

Last edited by Barnestormer; 07-11-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Spike

Pretty wicked blind, congrats
Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nice!

How sturdy is it? You planning on placing it permanent or you planning on transporting and covering as you move spot to spot?... either way its very nicely done!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

We will have to move it each time because we can't build perma blind on property we hunt. It will break down into sections with middle 5 cross beams and 4 side beams being all that isn't glued.

Camo will 4x4 grass mats either shadow grass or quack grass. Figure it will take 17 to cover but they come in packs of 4 so 20 will cover it good. The walls I am debating on bolting very thin wood or laminated wall boards to keep wind out and it will also help with making it more stable.

It is actually pretty stable. It does wobble but not to point it would tip or anything like that. The cross members and side beams that are removable I drilled holes though T's and inserted metal pins to keep them in if we had to move it around. It unexpectantly helped with stablility also.

I'll post more pics when it is camoed up and complete.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Spike

VERY nicely done. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

How much are you planning on breaking it down for transport?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Spike

Transport will be 4 wall sections that are 4x5, and 2 roof sections 2x5 which can be laid in truck bed or strapped on top of smaller vehicle. The connecting center, side and roof raisers will be put into a bag.

Last few years we transported 4 FA Pro guide xl elimintor layout blinds so this is alot less of a chore to get out into the field.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

my dad and i made a very simaler blind. didnt work very well. was too flimsy. and the dog couldnt see were the bird landed. so we made one out of aluminum and had to weld it left. we left 3 foot space in the front of the boat for the hound and that seemed to be a better solution. but it looks sturdy. good luck huntng!!!