Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Good bye to a GREAT friend!!!! >

Good bye to a GREAT friend!!!!

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Good bye to a GREAT friend!!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good bye to a GREAT friend!!!!

Sad day in my house today for I just had to bury my almost 10yr old best friend yellow lab, Maxx.
My wife tricked me into getting him when we first got together, one of her g-friends had a chocolate male and black female had a litter. He was the only yellow out of the crew. I got him.

Had him out hunting at 8 months and been ever since. This past winter he began with seizures and the vet said that he did not have long for they were going to get worse. I forget the name of what it is the he had, like luekiama I think. As spring came, they stopped. He had one again this past Wednesday eve when I let him out to run and feed and he seemed to go with it and was OK afterwards.

I leave to go to work last night and just get on duty
as my wife calls to say she was out at the garden and let Maxx out to run with our inside dog. She sees him fall over in the yard only to vomit all over himself and loose his bodily functions. She runs inside, calls me on duty and I head home all lit up.
I come flying into my driveway sideways to only find my wife on her knees holding his head on her lap in the pen doorway. She said that he passed away about 10 minutes earlier. He got up out of the yard to only make into his pen, next to his drag around toys, to fall over again. Never to get up again.

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-04-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

sorry to hear man.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Spike

Sorry to hear that, man. I'm not a dog lover by any stretch of the imagination, but I can relate to losing an awesome pet and friend.

Focus on the good memories rather than the fact he is gone. Print out a picture of him doing something funny and put it up somewhere you'll see it every day. Just remember, it's well worth the pain you're feeling now for all the joy that animal brought you throughout its life.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hoyt HavocTec View Post
Sorry to hear that, man. I'm not a dog lover by any stretch of the imagination, but I can relate to losing an awesome pet and friend.

Focus on the good memories rather than the fact he is gone. Print out a picture of him doing something funny and put it up somewhere you'll see it every day. Just remember, it's well worth the pain you're feeling now for all the joy that animal brought you throughout its life.
Thats a great idea if I had a pic of him. I am not one for taking pics very much and wish at times I were, this being one of them. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your loss...I always think that all out hunitng dogs will be up in dog heaven scouting out the places so when we are togther again the hunting will be awesome.

Heard a quote once..."if there are no dogs in heaven I do not wanna go"......works for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'm such a dog lover and to have such a great friend that you hunt with and trust like that...I got a little teary eyed myself just reading it...You'll be in my prayers!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by natimage View Post
I'm such a dog lover and to have such a great friend that you hunt with and trust like that...I got a little teary eyed myself just reading it...You'll be in my prayers!
Thank you, don't feel bad, you weren't the only one. It is my wife that I didn't wish for this to happen to. She was the one who got him for me. And with her being an RN for 18yrs, she understands these sort of things. But being this close to home and all, makes it rather much harder to deal with. Thank you again for the prayers.

Last edited by SecondChance; 07-13-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Fork Horn

we had to put my dog down the other day too... i feel your pain.. it sucks.