Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

DIY decoy question.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default DIY decoy question.

hey guys. im kinda low on money but ive jsut started goose hunting this year. my deeks consist of 18 magnum shells and 14 regular shells. i was trying to think of a way to A) make my regular shells move with the wind and B) make them so they are ontop of "feet".

PS i was thinking about drilling a hole in the top and finding some sort of stake to set them on but im not sure what to use for the stake. if anyone have tried this or anything similar please let me know what did or didnt work for you.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

use a stick.also i would suggest getting a flag.i heard you dont have a lot of money but their no very expensive
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't done this but, with some thought..I would draw a centerline on the inside of the decoy and experiment with front and rear position for balance to determine where you'd drill your hole. Then I might use a washer, welded or glued about an inch from the end of a metal rod or wood dowel for the deke to rest on. A few inches above the bottom of the stake, attach a base that will keep the rod stable in the ground, perhaps in the shape of feet. Paint to blend and give it a test.

Or, like on some decoys, put a cone-shaped piece into the hole you drilled that'll rest on the stake.

Just a couple thoughts.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys. i have a couple flags. just looking for a cheap way to add to my spread without getting more dekes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Spike

make some rags with trash bags and 2' dowels.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Spike

I know money is a factor but check craigslist as you may find a bargain.I bought 14 canadian goose floaters last year for 35 bucks they arent name brand but hey look good enough for my spread!

Last edited by Bucky145; 01-18-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

yeah ive been looking into that as well. could i saw off the bottom of floaters to make them into shells? or could that ruin them?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Spike

i have made some motion decoys out of shells i found the balance point of the feeder head and the sentry heads and drilled 2 small holes one for each head position and thats how i place them on the stakes and as for rags you can get them fairly cheap at cabelas or bass pro just dont over do the rags mix them in with the decoys i put heads on my rags from masonite to make them look more realistic