Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Dog training

Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Spike

Default Dog training

I'm going to pick up my black lab on the first. Been waiting a long time for this. It'll be 8 weeks then, and i wanna learn about training. I wanna do it right. I hunt anything and everything so i was wondering how much i can teach him to do. i want him to retrieve waterfowl but i also want him for upland game and such if possible. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice? I don't know when to start how to start etc. I dont know how possible it is to have him do waterfowland and upland but any info would help or maybe a good source. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Your pup will and can do waterfowl and all upland with no problem. One thing is find a retriever club or two in your area and join them, their monthly training outing can help a bunch. There are numerous training programs, i.e Water dog, Lardy, Smart works) Lardy I think is called the total retriever, some folks like them some don't. but rest assured they give you a great starting point. I will say most folks like the Lardy and smart works programs. Enjoy your pup and enjoy the ride of training.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Spike

I used the methods explained in the book "Water Dog", and they worked very well for me. It's an older book, the but methods really seemed to work for me and my lab Hunter. Good Luck and enjoy!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Spike

the water dog is a great book. . . but dokkens book is also really good. . . But i have found that the key to having a great dog is to really be the pack leader and to have the bond between you and your dog where they unconditionally love you . . . also my favorite quote with labs "can be the best dogs ever... but can be the craziest puppies ever... just make everything a game and they will work really hard to make you happy.....

when it comes to Ecollar training and force fetching . . . do not force fetch unless you have the assistant of a expiranced trainer. . . but to prevent your dog from becoming collar wise buy an extra collar maybe hunters orange and have your dog where them together so that they will eventually think that that just the hunters orange can give them the little reminder to listen
Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 AM
Spike

I would start him with waterfowl reason being. most of the time a lab will be a flushing dog. you will teach him to sit and stay in the blind with you. If you do it the other way as soon as the pup hears a gun shot it will run out of your duck blind looking for the birds which is not what you want it to do. you want it to retrieve on command. I have hunted with a lab that was initally a upland dog and it cant sit still in the duck blind and makes a lot of birds flare. Hope that helps
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WIbackwoodsU61
I would start him with waterfowl reason being. most of the time a lab will be a flushing dog. you will teach him to sit and stay in the blind with you. If you do it the other way as soon as the pup hears a gun shot it will run out of your duck blind looking for the birds which is not what you want it to do. you want it to retrieve on command. I have hunted with a lab that was initally a upland dog and it cant sit still in the duck blind and makes a lot of birds flare. Hope that helps
Ya waterfowl is at the top of my list anyways. How soon before introducing loud noises? I'm picking him up tonight and he's 8 weeks. And i'm a senior in high school so don't have a lot of money to spend on training videos and books, etc. Especially when the money i don't spend on tags, arrows, broadheads, and shells is put toward a new shotgun. lol
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Spike

Hildy19 PM sent
Old 12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start him on loud noises immediately.... before you feed him... at each meal... pop a cap from a cap gun or bag a pot loudly etc etc. What this will teach him is that a loud noise means something good is about to happen.... at first... it will be food.... later on it will be a retrieve.

You won't be able to teach the dog too much until the dog is ready to be taught.... this might take a few days or a few weeks. You'll see what I mean when you try and take pup for a walk... he'll be a pain. Won't take to the lead at all.... he'll sit down and back up. Just let him tote it around a while. Sooner or later.... when he is chewing a toy or something... just test him... call his name out to him. One day before long, he will lift his ears up..... turn his head and look at you.... thats when he is ready to start learning for real.

If you don't have enough money to buy a book or training video... then you damn sure don't have enough for a dog. Work some overtime or sell something you don't need as bad. Training a dog is not difficult... if I can offer one solid bit of advice.... obedience and more obedience. Don't bend rules.... don't praise unless its earned... don't scold unless you catch him doing someting wrong and he KNOWS its wrong.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Start him on loud noises immediately.... before you feed him... at each meal... pop a cap from a cap gun or bag a pot loudly etc etc. What this will teach him is that a loud noise means something good is about to happen.... at first... it will be food.... later on it will be a retrieve.

You won't be able to teach the dog too much until the dog is ready to be taught.... this might take a few days or a few weeks. You'll see what I mean when you try and take pup for a walk... he'll be a pain. Won't take to the lead at all.... he'll sit down and back up. Just let him tote it around a while. Sooner or later.... when he is chewing a toy or something... just test him... call his name out to him. One day before long, he will lift his ears up..... turn his head and look at you.... thats when he is ready to start learning for real.

If you don't have enough money to buy a book or training video... then you damn sure don't have enough for a dog. Work some overtime or sell something you don't need as bad. Training a dog is not difficult... if I can offer one solid bit of advice.... obedience and more obedience. Don't bend rules.... don't praise unless its earned... don't scold unless you catch him doing someting wrong and he KNOWS its wrong.
I have enough for a dog, but i don't have enough to spend $300 on training dvds when i could do the same with an internet search. The basics are pretty simple and i believe can be accomplished without spending money on an acclaimed author. No offense to anyone just how i feel. I feel better knowing i did it myself. Thanks for the help everybody
Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Spike

Training a dog to point or retreive does not take money or a fancy brand name video. It takes a TIME and dedication to learn how to create a desire in a dog to love to do what you want it to do. It is a fairly simple process but there are proven tricks of the trade that work better than others and shorten the learning curve. Some work well with one dog while other methods work better with the next dog. Training a dog is not hard to do if you put time and common sense into training it. Money and videos are not required.