Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mallard hen paint color

Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mallard hen paint color

I am repainting my decoys, need some help with body paint color for mallard hen.

I was going by the mallard colors per http://www.takeem.com/painting-decoys/mallard.pdf , but my local walmart does not stock the base paint for the body color, and the behr paint color is not specified.

Any suggestions on specific brand/color for hen mallard body?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Just paint them with flat black truckbed liner and give them a blue or yellow bill. Then go out and buy some new decoys.

I once had delusions like you about repainting my faded and chipped decoys. But that takes too much time and the results were not as good as factory new decoys. So I just buy new dekes and paint the old ones black (or give them away to youth hunters).

There ya go Rick
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by psandhu
Just paint them with flat black truckbed liner and give them a blue or yellow bill. Then go out and buy some new decoys.

I once had delusions like you about repainting my faded and chipped decoys. But that takes too much time and the results were not as good as factory new decoys. So I just buy new dekes and paint the old ones black (or give them away to youth hunters).

There ya go Rick
Thanks???

Seriously, I am starting to enjoy repainting the decoys, really not too hard once you get a little practice. Yes, they are not as nicely painted as new decoys (yet) but should do just fine to bring the birds in.

Just let me know if you have any dekes you want to give away, I would be more then happy to take them off your hands
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I had a blast re-painting all my decoys - even took some magnum pintails and made them Old Squaw decoys.

I bopught all my paint from Cabela's as they carried the Herter brand and have the color diagrams for all decoys.

I even went with a very inexpensive air brush which in turn allows one to use far less paint but end up with a terrific looking decoy.

Mack's has them
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-PKC10...tm_medium=feed

Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...:referralID=NA

JW
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW!
I even went with a very inexpensive air brush which in turn allows one to use far less paint but end up with a terrific looking decoy.

JW
Any recommendation on make/model for an air brush?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I bought this at a Hobby Lobby ~
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/A4308.aspx

Came in a wooden box - was easy to learn and use and Hobby Lobby even carried extra bottles and I bought a few.

I used this off a Huge garage Compressor but just turned the pressure down to less than 15 lbs.

In a few days time I painted over 250 decoys.

As I said the decoy ended up like factory new.

I was very pleased ~ and you really don't need that much paint. I bought paint for Bluebill decoys. Brush on it was to cover 2 dozen. The paint covered 6 dozen with extra left over!

JW