Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

hiper dog need help

Old 06-18-2003, 06:40 PM

Default hiper dog need help

we just got a male black lab that is a year old and he is 100 punds[no joke] and he is really hiper
i was wondering if he will get over it or will it stay with him
if it does stay with him any tips to help it

Thanks
Take-Em
Old 06-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hiper dog need help

I wouldn' t worry to much if I were you. At one year they can still be boneheads. Mine didn' t start to really calm down till he was about 1 1/2- 2 years old (although when you get him in a duck blind you would swear he was still a puppy). If your pup isn' t fixed, you can take that route. I would guess that unless he' s already trained you probably won' t be hunting him, although some people say that fixing a dog doesn' t hurt their ability to hunt well. But I would think that your best bet is to just spend alot of time with him and train him well. It' s been my experience that a well trained dog is a happy dog.

You' ve made a great choice by getting a lab. I can' t tell you how happy I am with mine. I have a hunting partner for two months out of the year, and a good buddy for the other ten. Don' t worry and don' t give up, he' ll come around! Good luck!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:01 AM

Best thing I can think of is to just give him lots of attention labs are realy great dogs, they just need alot of attention especialy when there pups, but when you get them out of the puppy stage and the training starts to pay off you can' t beat -em there great!! good luck to ya, pick up the book training the versatile retriever by robert milner and it will help you with the training.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:21 AM

I think that sitting back and simply waiting for this hyper-activity to go away is the worst thing you can do. Take a close look at the source of his hyperness. Is he penned up all day? Is he worked in the mornings and evenings? Channel this dogs energy and put it to good use. Often, field trial dogs are some of the most energetic dogs there are, and look what they can accomplish. All too often I hear people discuss how hyper a dog is, and then when I pose them with the above questions, they tell me no, I don' t have time to work with him. No, he doesn' t get much exercise, no walks, no swims.

Put that energy to good use.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:37 PM

i got a 3 year old yellow lab that is still hyper, even after havin him fixed. he' s a good dog, but sometimes the hyper activity is more than i can stand. thought about trying valium........
Old 06-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

My 2 yr old lab can be pretty hyper. He has calmed down alot though from when he was young. 6-10 months he was almost unbearable. Then I discovered an offleash park nearby. The best cure is lots of exercise. Someone once told me that a well behaved lab is an exhausted lab. I wouldn' t go quite that far but it makes a big difference for my guy. He gets walked 3-4 miles a day. Mostly off leash where he can run and rumble with the other dogs. In the summer heat he doesn' t need as much exercise due to the heat but in the winter we are usually out for an hour and a half every day after work. As soon as I get home he goes crazy. He expects it. An hour and a half of my time is well worth the peace and quite I get for the rest of the evening.
This past weekend at the lake he swam for pretty much 45 minutes straight. We were playing with a ball and I kept throwing it out in the water and he kept going to get it. If I didn' t throw it he' d bounce around me until I did. Man, did he sleep when we got home. He was one pooped pup.
I swear my arm has been sore from the day we got him.

Oh yeah, getting him fixed didn' t do a thing to calm him down. He was just a little lighter.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 AM

thanks guys your info really helped
this weekand we brought him out to a cabin we have and he chased me on my four- wheeler for about an hour now that we got back he doesn' t have the energy to play fetch with me