HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hiper dog need help
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Cyrus
Fork Horn

Default RE: hiper dog need help

My 2 yr old lab can be pretty hyper. He has calmed down alot though from when he was young. 6-10 months he was almost unbearable. Then I discovered an offleash park nearby. The best cure is lots of exercise. Someone once told me that a well behaved lab is an exhausted lab. I wouldn' t go quite that far but it makes a big difference for my guy. He gets walked 3-4 miles a day. Mostly off leash where he can run and rumble with the other dogs. In the summer heat he doesn' t need as much exercise due to the heat but in the winter we are usually out for an hour and a half every day after work. As soon as I get home he goes crazy. He expects it. An hour and a half of my time is well worth the peace and quite I get for the rest of the evening.
This past weekend at the lake he swam for pretty much 45 minutes straight. We were playing with a ball and I kept throwing it out in the water and he kept going to get it. If I didn' t throw it he' d bounce around me until I did. Man, did he sleep when we got home. He was one pooped pup.
I swear my arm has been sore from the day we got him.

Oh yeah, getting him fixed didn' t do a thing to calm him down. He was just a little lighter.