Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Puddle Jump

Old 06-05-2003, 07:57 PM
tk
Spike

Default Puddle Jump

My buddy was telling me about using a canoe and gettin on a river and trying to sneak up on the ducks then shoo them when they get up. There is a river and a coupl creeks the ducks like at my hunt club. Could someone please elaborate on this technique for me. I have never been duck hunting before and am axious to try it.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Puddle Jump

make sure the canoe is going downstream when you do this. much easier.

but...setting out decoys and calling them in is much much more fun.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:39 AM

One more thing that I would add would be to, while jump shooting, stay close to the banks of the river. It' s also not a bad idea to position a shooter or two down stream for the spooky ducks.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok i do quite a bit of this sneak up stuff.
1. I am not sure about sneakin up on them on the water with a canoe will work. it might be too slow and too obvious. when you start down the river at them the birds will see you comin streight at them.
2. Heres what i would do. i would just slowly walk up to the river util i get about 200 or so yrds away. make sure that you dont get too close to spook the ducks and stay out of there sight. then crawl on your belly until you get the last part of grass or shore line and ducks are prty close. some times i just lay still and the ducks start to swim up to the bank and then shoot or slowly crawl alittle more then get up and shoot.
3.this hunt will work alot better with 3 or 4 people at least 2 people should sneak up on the ducks and what ever way you sneak up on them the ducks should fly the exact opposit so take one other guy down the river aways and put him there and if you got 4 take the other guy to a different spot so if you get a duck and the other ones get away they will fly right at them. we use this technique often also and have good luck using it. this is how i would do it but i am not sure what the terrain looks like so i cant say that this will work. you will have to find out how you want it by lookin at the land. hope you get some ducks
Old 06-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

We consider puddle jumping to be the method in which Mr. fishy described. Sneak up on the birds roosted then spring up and shoot them as they fly away, also put guys on the wind side direction to get the pass over shots. It can be fun and rewarding, but I prefer to coy them as well.

If you do this canoe bit, make sure to practice shooting from a sitted position, be aware of your surrounding and other hunters and it wouldn' t be bad to wear a lifevest...just in case you get crazy[]! A safe no bird hunt is better than a butt full of lead!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 02:36 PM

i use a canoe to float down the river duck hunting
it works well you can also shoot squirells