Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will he jump!?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Will he jump!?

Is a bedded deer more likely to jump or duck if you shoot at him????
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will he jump!?

probly jump how would they duck if there laying down?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 PM

I guess i meant will he flinch or duck his head?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Who know deer are like people how you act too one thing I might act completly differnt to the samething. So who knows there all differnt.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys this has been said time and time again..Deer do not duck in an attempt to dodge your arrow! Hell they can't dodge a car on the highway..how they gonna make a physical act to get out of the way of something they probably can't see.

The ducking of an arrow as it is so commonly called, is simpley the act of the deer "loading" it's legs to run. If we were going to, for example, steal a base in baseball, would you stand all stiff legged or would you bend at the knees and get ready to spring forward with an explosive first movement. If you loaded your legs in this way what would your head and torso do...drop?

So how is a bedded deer gonna duck an arrow? With his ninja skills, he'd probably just deflect it with his massive rack much like a sword~fighter would deflect the blow of his opponents swashbuckling.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

So how is a bedded deer gonna duck an arrow? With his ninja skills, he'd probably just deflect it with his massive rack much like a sword~fighter would deflect the blow of his opponents swashbuckling.
Thats hilarious...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Guys this has been said time and time again..Deer do not duck in an attempt to dodge your arrow! Hell they can't dodge a car on the highway..how they gonna make a physical act to get out of the way of something they probably can't see.

The ducking of an arrow as it is so commonly called, is simpley the act of the deer "loading" it's legs to run. If we were going to, for example, steal a base in baseball, would you stand all stiff legged or would you bend at the knees and get ready to spring forward with an explosive first movement. If you loaded your legs in this way what would your head and torso do...drop?

Well put...The "ducking" is actualy a reaction of the muscles to run after they hear somthing they don't like. With that being said, i haveonly seen a deer do this is they were already alerted to somthing in the area. So when they hear the bow they were already expecting somthing bad in the area and hightail it outa there, causeing what most people think is the "ducking of the arrow". But if they are completely clam, the chances of them hearing the bow is minimal at best. MHO.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

With his ninja skills, he'd probably just deflect it with his massive rack much like a sword~fighter would deflect the blow of his opponents swashbuckling.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

...but it's still ducking. IMO - if it's jumping, it's going in an upward motion. If it's ducking, it's going in adownward motion.

So... if you have an incredibly slow bow, and a really high strung deer, and a long shot - it IS possible to have a deer actually "Jump" out of the way of an arrow.

Just in the interest of being accurate, saying "jump" is incorrect.

Obviously, it's preloading the legs to "jump" a fraction of a second later. Any deer has to duck before it can jump. Simple physics. However, with the speed of most bows, the deer hasn't had a chance to "rebound" by the time the arrow makes impact (or flies over its back).

So, I think you're very accurate in saying that it "ducked" the shot. If it had actually jumped, the arrow would have went under the target, not over it.

It sounds kinda stupid to say "I shot at a deer, and it jumped, so I shot over it."

Back on topic, I've shot a couple bedded deer with my bow, and they pretty much just laid there and I pinned them through the vitals. No jump. No duck. No nothing. Then again, they weren't looking at me, so they weren't alert or anything.