Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

goose calls

Old 06-05-2003, 06:53 AM

Default goose calls

Just wondering if you all prefer a short reed goose call or a goose flute. What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of either. In your opinion, which has a more " true" sound. The reason I ask is I blow a short reed slammer but am thinking about focusing more on a flute. Any suggestions for a good flute?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:34 AM

Default RE: goose calls

blowing a flute is a whole different ball game then short reeds if ur gonna look into a flute dont get a cheap one id prefer eather a Foils Meat Cutter or a Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman in tigerwood woods are deeper in the goose familys....
if ur lookin for a quality short reed id never down a winglock a delrin winglock is 50 buxs or u can get a wooden one for not much difference or a acrylic for 120 for the sr goose calls ....

advantage of flute---- Deep easy for laydowns and good comeback calls
Disadvantage--- hard to make it very fast harder for clucks harder for sounding like a flock of birds and harder to learn

flutes u blow with cheaks and short reeds u use chest air so a flute may also mess ur duck calling style up id prefer u go check it out see what u like www.winglockcalls.com is for them winglocks if u wanna look at them or try to find sean manns site he has awesom flutes i used to blow a eastern shoreman but i moved to a sr..
Old 06-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got a short reed goose call and a goose flute. i think it is much ezier and louder and better sounding with my goose flute. i use the short reed also but i just get better sound from my flute. but i guess it depends on what you like
Old 06-07-2003, 03:29 AM

depends if ur good with a sr goose call and there easier to learn with a sr can be tuned deep also a Greg Keats Shaman is REally Deep for a SR call or a Delrin goose call is deep also a shaved reed is also faster to make clucks and comebacks while a flute easier for laydowns and hail calls but id go with a sr
Old 06-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use both for canadas really depends on the day, birds and situation. Specs or snow/blues I use short reed calls only.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:52 AM

I use neither; both sound artificial. Instead I call with my own voice and have had good success calling in geese. Takes a bit of practice, but it gives me maximum flexibility in calling which I find is more difficult to do with the manufactured calls.

Challenge yourself by calling geese with your own voice.

Al.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Alacrity,

I' m with you. I' ve been using my voice to call geese for years, I also use it for turkey clucks and yelps, elk mews and whines, and duck quacks. Now I didn' t say I was a " quack" I said I could sound like one.

I use Haydels Magnum Honker, and their Goose flute, which ever the geese prefer that day. I had tune all of the Magnum Honkers I sell, so they sound like the Giant Canada' s we hunt here in the midwest. I' ve also used a Big River Long Honker flute, and like it.

I' ll answer all of these types of questions I can over on the " T.R.' s Tips" forum, come on over and join us.

T.R.