Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
another goose hunting question >

another goose hunting question

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

another goose hunting question

Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Spike

Default another goose hunting question

My setup is to catch geese flying by. I am in between two neightboring ponds and they come in quite low at the tops of the trees which aren't very tall, problably 30-40 foot are the tallest ones. What is the best load to shoot. I was going to go with a 3" #4's. Will that work. I am open to suggestions. This is my very time every going after geese, I am mainly a bowhunter and chase whitetails.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are just at the tree tops that will be plenty to kill a goose. If that doesn't do the trick try and find a fast 3" load in like #1 or BB
Old 10-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

I killed a goose last week with 3" 4's just last week while duck hunting. That said, given a choice, I would choose larger shot. Most of the geese I shoot are with 1's or BB's. I bought some left over Hevi-steel in B and I'm betting that will be very good.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

when goose hunting i only use BB or bigger with steel shot if you use heavy shot or the like i would thin 2s would be fine but nothing smaller. it doesnt always make a clean kill
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If i know i am going to be having a lot of shots at geese i bring BBs or bigger. That being said if they are in easy range i have brought them down with 2's, but i highly suggest using at least 1s for geese, for with #4s you are decreasing the likelihood of killing the bird in the are, and are more likely to crip them up
Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Spike

Some Muzzy 100's?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

I'd go with BB. Geese are large birds and deceiving as to how fast they fly and how high up there they are. You need a load that's gonna knock em dead. Plus, 4s arent gonna do too much if your late and hit em in the breast. I can also say that I am familiar with pass shooting geese I hunt state land pot holes in southern Michigan. and we do a lot of pass shooting.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by astandal
I'd go with BB. Geese are large birds and deceiving as to how fast they fly and how high up there they are. You need a load that's gonna knock em dead. Plus, 4s arent gonna do too much if your late and hit em in the breast. I can also say that I am familiar with pass shooting geese I hunt state land pot holes in southern Michigan. and we do a lot of pass shooting.
i pass shoot alot too, and agree BBs will be the best choice, if your not willing to goto BBB or Ts. if your willing to do hevi shot #2s are perfect