Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Wood call durability vs plastic >

Wood call durability vs plastic

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Wood call durability vs plastic

Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wood call durability vs plastic

Looking at picking up a new call from RNT that they have in both wood and plastic, what is the down side of getting wood? In my experence wood has had a better sound at least to my tone def ears. But my experence is limited.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wood does have a better sound in my opinion as well, but because it isn't nearly as dense and it much more pourous (sp) than acryllic, it is prone to climate changes.

Short version; it isn't always EXACTLY the same. Acrylic is going to pretty much always sound the same... a lot of people tend to think (I'm one of them) that a good wood such as cocobola sounds better as it gets more and more wet from use, and naturally as it ages.

Acryllic calls are also much louder than wood calls (generally), and that can be good or bad depending on your hunting situation. I find 95% of hunters call WAY WAY WAY too loudly.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have both and have had for many years. From all wood to wood.acrylic to all acrylic.
I prefer wood and Swamp said it all.

JW
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Go to a store.blow them all,and pick the one you think sounds best.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

wood does have a richer tone but has more a chance of swelling and sounding like an elk call rather than a duck so i would go for the acrylic i use the knight and hale double reed i think its called the bachelorette sounds good and is easy to work
Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Acrylic Stabilized Wood

Guys, dont forget one of the new things. ACRYLIC STABILIZED WOOD!!
Whether it be one of mine or someone elses. Stabilized wood is liiquid acrylic forced into wood with hydraulic pressure. This fills all the pores of the wood and maintaines the look of the wood, but with some of the protection characteristics of acrylic. It does not let the moisture in to swell the wood.
The best of both worlds.
Keep that in mind when you are looking for a new call.
Alot of the smaller call makers, like myself and others will make stabilized calls. You may have a hard time finding it from the big manufacturers.