Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Help me pick my next shotgun! >

Help me pick my next shotgun!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Help me pick my next shotgun!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default Help me pick my next shotgun!

I have always been a pump shotgun kind of guy (using mainly the Remington 870 Supermag), but I am currently looking at several reasonably priced shotgun models in an autoloader. I care nothing about looks, but I need reliability. I would like some detailed input from others that have used these guns and what your experiences have been in the field. I want a versatile gun that can be used on anything from dove to turkey to ducks, geese, and cranes to quail and pheasants. I know I'm asking for a lot and every gun has it's +s and -s, but I want the one that will meet my needs as much as possible. I'm currently looking at the:

Remington spr 453
Stoeger 2000
Franchi I-12
Mossberg 935

Please give me some feedback. Also, if I've left a gun out that is comparable in price that will meet my needs, let me know about it.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

i use the stoeger m2000 i think its a great option ive never had problems at all. ive shot skeet, trap, dove, rabbits, tweety birds, ducks and geese just use a good heavy game load the target loads seem to cycle poorly when the gun is new once u get the action broke in you can preaty much shoot anything
Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is alot to ask of one gun. The most important thing is fit. If the gun feels good to you you will be able shoot well in all the afore mentioned sitiuations. I am currently shooting the Stoeger M2000. It has been a great gun. I have shot Geese, Ducks, Doves and will be shooting turkeys with it coming this spring. I have never had it jam or malfunction. On your list you have two inertia operated guns (i12 & M2000) and two gas guns (spr 453 & 935). i have handled all of these guns. The first thing you will notice is the weight difference. The gas guns will be a little heavier than the Inertia guns. The i12 and M2000 are very similar since both are made by benelli. The spr453 may feel more familiar to your because it will feel alot like an 11-87 which in my opinion feels alot like an 870 (sans weight). I don't have alot of expirience with the mossberg so i can't comment on anything but the weight. I think your best bet is to go handle all of these before you buy. This will tell you whether or not you will like any of these guns. I hope this gets you started. If you have any other questions i would be happy to try and answer them.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Spike

It's above the price of the other guns, but I can guarantee if you get a Benelli M2 you won't have a single regret. I've got a 28" barrel and use it for doves, ducks, turkeys, and most any other bird I'll hunt. Ideally, you'll want a shorter barrel for turkeys, but it works just fine, trust me. I've never had 1 jam at all. I broke it in shooting trap loads at first (as recommended), and have never had 1 problem. It's so reliable and easy to clean, I love it. You can beat the inertia system. Less moving parts= more reliability. Trust me, you won't have any regrets w/ the M2.

Last edited by AGRTigers560; 10-22-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

From your list the Mossberg 935, I think of the four you have listed it is the only one with a overbored barrel. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Spike

Default Best Shoutgun

Benelli - hands down the best in balance, shootablity, lightness,simplicity and durability.

Believe me you will not regret buying a Benelli - try the M1- Super 90 or current equalivalent .. you can use it from doves to deer an Turkey to Ducks...you don't need the Super Black Eagle 3 1/2" 12 Ga is overrated in my view.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Spike

I agree with all the Talk about benelli, I personally shoot the benelli supernova and haven't had any jams and have taken all types of birds with her. lol even a doe in early deer season here in Michigan. I know that's a bit more in price so my second suggestion would be the stoger line. hunting partner (actually user member popeandyoungchaser) Ive seen his gun M2000 work in stride with all the top guns
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Love my Stoeger 2000. I've had it for 5 years I think now and never had a single problem with it. Ducks, doves, geese, and turkeys. I'm not easy on it and it still works as good as the day I got it. My brother has the I-12 and I know he likes it a lot also. Essentially they're both the same gun to me (with the inertia system)- just one has a much higher price tag.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you dont have to have 31/2" Id go with a Remington 1100, Ive used it for many years on duck, goose, turkey, quail, and pheasant. My dad used the same one for dove as well. They are the most reliable gun i know of, when others in the field might get jammed(Super Black Eagle 2s) id still be able to fire. You dont need a new one, so here in CA last year i almost picked up a third one for my house for $200.

Out of your list, the 935, I have hunting partners who highly suggest it
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Spike

Default Thanks guys!

I finally went with the Benelli American M2. I got it on sale this weekend for $899.99. Same gun as the regular M2 minus two chokes and the fancy recoil pad. I've heard you can get them even a little cheaper, but I couldn't get any of my contacts to beat that price. The only drawbacks that gunsmiths said about the other guns listed were the availability of parts. They all said it took MUCH longer to get parts for the shotguns made in Russia and Turkey. I may have never needed them but you never know. They also said the resale value would always be more with the Benelli. I guess I compromised and spent a few more bucks. I'm looking forward to breaking it in on Kansaas pheasants in a few weeks.

Thanks again!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.