Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Beginners Shotgun

Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The recommended guns are good ( I'd say go with a pump action, for your first) but I strongly advise you visit your local skeet/trap range. Tell the guys what your interests are, and ask if they have some diff makes & models* you can try out. You may have set things up for the following weekend.

Find a gun that fits you, and most importantly hits what you point it at. Not all shotguns handle the same. There's a lot of reasons, barrel length, weight, length of pull, and more.

Try a few before you settle on one. As for the action, pump vs semi-auto, each has it pros & cons. Whatever you choose, make sure you know how to field strip it and have any tools necessary in your field bag.

*there are some very nice looking and very expensive shotguns out there, not well suited for field situations, and stick with your price range
Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Spike

get a new remington 887 waterfowl edition armorlokt gun...new for this year and they are some bad a$$ shotguns...$537 msrp absolutely a perfect duck gun!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Stoeger and the Franchi are both good inertia driven shotguns at a reasonable price. This is my first year with the Stoeger and I have been beating 3" BB's through for the entire early goose season and havent had a single malfunction.

If you opt for an ID gun shoot a box of the heaviest waterfowl loads your gun will safely shoot out of it. Do this before you fire any light trap loads to break the gun in. When cleaning an ID gun do not leave alot of oil in the action. They tend to jam with too much oil. Every one I know including myself runs their ID guns almost completely dry. This will also keep them from freezing in cold weather. Hope this helps you out!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alsatian
To each their own. I would recommend to a beginner to buy a cheap pump shotgun. Pumps are super reliable and considerably cheaper than automatics. You will learn something about the beating that a waterfowl gun gets when hunting waterfowl (you did say you were a beginner, right?), and after this you may more carefully consider whether you want a more expensive, more complicated shotgun in the marsh or in the duck boat.
I agree with the point Alsatian makes, pumps are reliable and duck guns are abused, which makes finding a used one in good condition a little tough, but it sounds like you are fairly serious if you are willing to invest $750 in your first shotgun. Therefore, I would say you should go ahead and select an auto.

I would give serious consideration to the inertia guns that Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger have to offer. Benelli is a little higher priced (worth the price in my opinion), but the Franchi I-12 and the Stoeger Model 2000 are more within the range you're looking to spend.

The Remington 11-87 is also within your price range and it is a good duck gun, but it is gas. Nothing wrong with gas guns, but you gotta make sure you keep it sparkling clean to avoid jams. You can get away with a little less frequent cleaning with intertia guns.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

i have the m200 with no complaints for the price u cant beat it
Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Spike

Default Agree with Marlin 30/30

I agree with Marlin30/30. The 870 and 500 are more or less the "standard" if there is one.

I make no secrets about the fact that I am biased towards remington; I have had nothing but success with them (Though unless you want an expensive door stop, don't buy the 770).

While both of these guns are quite a bit under your price range Remington makes the 870 supermag in camo which is a very nice gun.

A few things to consider about this gun:
  1. it holds 3 1/2 shells which isn't necessary but has its uses
  2. it has a camo barrel and synthetic stock; which makes it more ideal for nasty conditions (e.g. hunting thick/muddy sloughs). The stock won't warp and the metal is a little more protected from moisture.
  3. **You still need to ALWAYS clean your gun as soon as possible**
  4. It is a very simple gun and seldom has problems
  5. It's not going anywhere. Parts will always be available for it

With your price range, these qualities can be found in many different guns, however it gives you an idea of what to look for. The most important thing is that it fits you. A bird gun isn't like a deer rifle that only gets shot a few times a year. It becomes your best friend when you're in the thick of it and you will be putting hundreds of shells through it. Take care of your gun and it will take care of you.

Also, a side note: Possibly consider not spending up to your budget on a gun. Hunting is a VERY expensive sport and you will find yourself wanting to purchase other things such as: good ammo, blinds, decoys, chokes, camo, waders, calls, flags, robo ducks...just to name a few.

Around here for autoloaders, the Beretta Extrema2 is a very popular gun.

Best of luck,

BurdBuster
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Spike

Default Good choices

Dont buy a mossberg 935 my experience was HORRIBLE with one.
The franchi ,stoeger should be good choices, and the weatherby is a new gun in your range, but I dont know anything about them. I do however know people that got the stoeger and franchi that you are talking about, and they dont have complaints.
The stoeger has the inerta like the benelli,
and the franchi has the system like the beretta (xtrema like i have and love)
I would save up for the beretta xtrema if I were you but if you cannot affor it. I think you will be fine with either the 2000 or franchi
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Rem 887 on order(came in today).went to look at it and he had a Stoeger M2000 sitting there and after talking with Him I walked out the door with the M2000 max camo for the same price.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by blindluck
get a new remington 887 waterfowl edition armorlokt gun...new for this year and they are some bad a$$ shotguns...$537 msrp absolutely a perfect duck gun!

I was going to recommend the same. Especially if you're looking for a waterfoul gun, the 887 is impervious to rust. I'm looking into one of these myself.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I have had good luck with both my Franchi and my Model2000 by Stoeger.