Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

in your honest opinion

Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default in your honest opinion

i know there are a lot of these posts around and i hate to be "that stupid newb" but a friend invited me to go early goose hunting with him on public land this fall. i already have the tags and federal stamp. i am an avid hunter and have my super nova that i will be takeing along. it has the plug in it and came with 3 chokes. (and btw i am a decent shot with the gun and have been shooting trap with it for 3 years with a 20 avg so shooting ability is not so much a factor.) now that the background info is out of the way... my first question is what size choke should i use? i know mod is pretty standard and i use it for sporting clays and trap but should i be useing an imp. mod? what shot size is the best out of which size shell. my friend used 3" loaded with BB-2. what range is the shell setup good out too. he says 40 yrds isnt bad but it seems far to me. also are there any little things that will make me more comfertable/succsesfull? (spl) sry for making this post so long but i had a lot of questions.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Spike

I could fill a page with those questions-but I will just say this.
If your hunting out of a layout and the birds are in your face,all you need is 3 inch # 2.If your more or less pass shooting-go with mod choke 3 1/2 inch shells.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Banned

Personally I use the modified choke in my benelli Nova with 3 1/2 in. shells In BB Shot! Useally the magic combo for me! I can reach out to about 50yrds. with this set up and have killed geese out to about 80yrds! magic BB Theory! I wouldnt use anything smaller thne BBB for geese! Thats just my opinon! Good luck!