Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best state to hunt ducks

Old 09-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Best state to hunt ducks

In your opinion what is the best state to hunt ducks? For me it is North Dakota, plenty of birds and not much pressure from other hunters like it can be in Minnesota. MN used to be a great duck state but times have definately changed. I've never hunted Arkansas or anywhere else so I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 PM

Default RE: Best state to hunt ducks

Texas sure isn't it!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Spike

I have only hunted ducks in South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota, but I would have to say that dunk hunting in North Dakota is a lot better. It Has a lot better slews that a guy can get his boat onto and like TheRick said plenty of birds and not much pressure from other hunters.

Hey rick where in ND do you live. I live in Wahpeton.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Arkansas is said to be the "duck capitol of the world". I've never hunted there but I've spoken to people who say there's nothing like duck hunting in Arkansas. I would definately like to go someday.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:47 PM

Personally I think Arkansas is the best for big duck because of the effort that DU puts into it... Last year alone there were two refuges made for conservation where there were dumptrucks full of corn and "natures own"
a waterfowl mix dumped into them... but i also think where I live in louisiana is the best for teal hunting and your diving ducks... I've hunted in Louisiana and Arkansas and I'd have to say Arkansas has us beat in quantity, but i don't know about QUALITY> If you are looking to bag a banded duck, come and try Louisiana's best of duck hunting on the Old Intracoastal Canal....Its called the states best duck hideaway because the birds fly it to get away from the hunting pressure
Old 09-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Michigan sucks, if I had to say any state based on what ive seen from huntind videos and magazines id say, texas, louisiana or south dakota
Old 09-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Fork Horn

Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana are my top three if the weather gets right.... There are days (sometimes weeks) in those three states when the ducks are coming in so thick they look like tornado's...it's been a couple of years but if things are right I've left the blind with a sore thumb from reloading so fast I busted it up. The good thing about these is they offer the opportunity to hunt fields (bean or rice) or flooded timber...and that ol' river seems to act like a funnel. But that's just my 2 cents...there are lot's of places along that river that offer awesome hunts, but these three are my favorites...course I think of my self as a lucky S.O.B. since my club is in Arkansas

Gordon
Old 09-21-2004, 03:33 PM

Would you like to know what the top ten States have been for the past several years? Here they are and their annual harvest averages.

1. Louisiana - 2,056,857
2. Texas - 1,483,650
3. Arkansas - 1,123,766
4. California - 964,183
5. North Dakota - 694,712
6. Minnesota - 647,110
7. Missouri - 487,120
8. Illinois - 445,294
9. Washington - 332,754
10. Michigan - 304,002
Old 09-21-2004, 06:41 PM

birdbustin,

I actually go right through Wahpeton and hunt near the Milnor/Gwinner area. Probably not the greatest spot in the state but we know some of the locals and don't run into too many other hunters. Sure was dry last year though, most of our go to sloughs were completely dry so we'll have to see how it goes this year. Where do you hunt?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

is south dakota any good? well I'll tell ya after this weekend, the opener is this saturday! WAHOO

Quick Reply: Best state to hunt ducks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.