Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck and gesse ?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Default duck and gesse ?

will they land in bean fields...and will they land on ice

Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: duck and gesse ?

ORIGINAL: beardstowndeerhunter

will they land in bean fields...and will they land on ice

All depends on where you are, and what the main food supply for them is.

There are guys in Canada and some in the mid-west US that think hunting waterfowl over water is a waste of time and energy... all they do is field hunt... and they whack'em like its going out of style.

I'm a Virginia boy. Talking to some of the old guard around here, a older hunting buddy of mine said they used to shoot mallards in corn fields, but he hasn't shot on over a field in over 25 years.

Ducks and geese will land anywhere if thats the spot they really want to be in. If you are talking about frozen water... its 100x's more likely they'll land if you open up a hole (if possible). There has to be something there they want.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beans , Yes
But they will normaly hit corn feilds first
Unless the bean feild is flooded

Ice , Geese yes , ducks sometimes
But it takes a little extra work to get them
As localy the birds only sit on the ice when all the other open water is locked up
Or they are sitting there as a day roost

We hunt a frozen river all the time
But there is a set of rapids close by that is always open

John
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Ducks love bean fields, especially flooded bean fields.

As for ice, what you want is to have the only open water in the area when everything else if frozen over. If you have access where there is a hot spring, look out when it freezes. I love shooting on open potholes when everything else if frozen, but we don't get much freezing weather out here.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

There are guys in Canada and some in the mid-west US that think hunting waterfowl over water is a waste of time and energy... all they do is field hunt... and they whack'em like its going out of style.
FWIW, the reason we don't hunt geese here on water is not because it's a waste of time. It can be a very productive hunt, but it will be only one hunt. Once you hunt geese in water where they are coming back to roost, they will all leave. If you hunt them in the fields, you can have multiple hunts with the same birds. They will all go back to the water and find a new field to hunt.

Ducks are a different story. Hunting on water and ice can be very productive. The best is when everything is frozen and you clear a nice hole out for the ducks to come in. You're bound to have a great day.

That said, geese and ducks come into bean fields all the time.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I can't remember the last time I goose hunted over water. Field hunting for geese just pumps the adrenaline so much more for me. Theres not many places around here to hunt geese over water. But fields are a different story. Tons of corn, beans and wheat around here. I duck hunted over water a few times this year but fields produced ducks much better. I'm not sure about the ice question, but I can tell you that there's no reason geese wont land in bean fields. Especially if there isn't much corn that's been combined.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

when you hunt on or around ice the ice should be like broken up for the ducks to land in and then they will climb out but usally we will put decoys around the water on the ice and a couple in the water.