Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New Duck Gun

Old 11-13-2003, 09:47 AM

Default New Duck Gun

I' m looking to buy a new duck gun. I want an auto and this will be the first one I have owned. I' m intereseted only in American made models. Does anyone have 1 of the new Mossberg 935' s? How is it? Is the Remington 1187 as relaible as they advertize? Thanks for the info, I' m new to auto' s and can' t waste hard earned cash on a gun that I won' t be happy with. 1 MORE QUESTION, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REGULAR REM. MODELS AND THERE EXPRESS MODELS?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM

Default RE: New Duck Gun

I know 4 people with 11-87, they all like them and don' t have problems. I don' t think Rem makes the autos in the express models, but basically the express models aren' t blued and have a few other mfg. differences. I' ve heard good things about the Beretta autos and Benelli' s are popular, but both are more expensive guns.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:44 AM

igot a Mossberg 9200 and love it shoots great and very comparable to my brothers browning gold hunter..very smooth firing and little kick with magnum loads. very happy with mossberg and great cust. service from them as well!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:04 PM

I' ve been shooting a Browning 12 ga. Gold Hunter 3 1/2 auto for a few years now. I' ve shot many birds with it and turkeys. Great all around gun! Will definitely give you your money' s worth. however, I dont know how much money you are planning on spending. I have buddies who shoot the Rem. and have never heard of any complaints. However, I went a goose hunt earlier this year with a friend using a Mossberg 12 ga. pump (brand new) and it jammed or something. I' m no gun expert, but he couldn' t even pump it. I don' t know if I' d spend the money on a auto if that' s what their pumps are doing. Hope you find what you want.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:08 PM

I have a Winchester Super X2 and for my money it can' t be beat. Had it out this am, coated with ice and it performed like a charm. I was shooting 3 1/2" magnum loads on northern birds and it handled them perfectly. This gun is my all around shot gun...use it on trap, clays, ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse and turkeys and never once has it failed me! Check one out, you will be glad you did.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:20 PM

From the reveiws I' ve heard, the Mossy 935 is turning out to be a great gun. If I continue to hear the reports that I have been, it' ll be my next my next goose thumper.By the way,right now Mossy makes the best patterning 3 1/2" factory barrels out there, no need for after~market chokes[8D].

As for the Express line, they' re the " budget/cheapo" line as compared to the premier Wingmaster type " quality"
Old 11-16-2003, 06:08 PM

Benelli SBE is great. I know you want an auto, but a pump is always gonna be your bang up muck gun, and still preform to high standards. Browning BPS is a great pump shotgun at an intermediate price range.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve had my eyes on x2 and browning gold for several years now myself. Just can' t make myself hang up my old faithfull BPS. But have to admit, they have come a long way with the new autos in the last 15 years. Whatever you get, just make sure you shoot an identical model beforehand and it feels good to you.