Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

One thing you learned.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default One thing you learned.

I seem to learn something new every time i go out. Whats thing you have learned this season?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Spike

Default RE: One thing you learned.

well here ya go. i have been a die hard duck hunter for several years now but have only been two times a season for the passed 2 years. what i have learned is i dont remember it being so dang much work carrying the decoys walking through that muddy swamp.lol just kidding. i need to get my butt back in shape!!! lol besides that i also have learned its difficult to hunt with some people that dont realize how important some things can be to make a hunt successful. i went with a couple of buddies in their silver bass boat and the owner hid it in the cat tails about a hundred yards away. after first light ducks didnt want anything to do with us. kinda upset me a lil that we went through the normal routine and he was too lazy and at that wouldnt allow be to taxi the boat a little farther away before first light. just think about looking accrossed a 200 yard field and imagine how easy it would be to see all the stuff that a duck would from that distance. he is a good friend of mine so i just let it go but it could have been a great morning.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've learned that the ducks on the water that I hunt fly longer and more often on rainy/overcast days. And, its a bad habit to break, but I need to stop setting up in the same spot twice in a row under the same conditions, if it didn't produce the first time.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I learn something everytime I go. But one example is that you need to tie your dog down, no matter how good he/she is.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, you learn something new everytime. This season the lesson I've learned is that a good hunting partner is hard to find. I've hunted with the same guy since I was able to hunt. Then he went about 4 hours north to college, and only came back twice during the season. So after I hunted with a few people I now would have passed on going with, I became best friends with a kid I went to high school with. We hunted every weekend and 2-3 times a week together. He's a really good guy and the passion that we have for the sport just makes it that much more enjoyable. He's also friends with my old hunting partner, so when he came back from college for the weekend we all joined up and did some goose hunting. Those weekends were definatly a good time.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You learn a little everytime you go. Learning to read the birds is a big one and you will get better with each outing. The biggest thing I learned in all my years of waterfowling was...to hunt with experienced hunters. Years ago when we really got in to it, we read every book, watched every video, asked questions on web sites....but on my first few hunts hunts with an experienced hunter, I learned more than all the others put together.

Now that I'm a seasoned waterfowler, I love to take new guys. There is nothing better than seeing a kid or even an adult, take their first goose or duck. Sometimes guys don't understand why I don't pick up my gun when I'm telling everyone to take 'em. Making the actual kill shot is not important, it's the set up, reading the birds, the calling, and the experience to be able to wait until they are truly in your face before you call the shot. That's waterfowlingin it's purest form!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

One thing i learned this year is always stay with your target untill its down. Some ducks and geese jsut seem to go down and then just get it together and keep flying.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM

I learned to wait it out....It may be the last 15 minutes of your day before ducks start flying.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year the weather has played a big role into my hunting.

Knowing the weather, and how it affects the bird movement in your particular area will really make or break a hunt.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM

One thing I've learned (really I knew) that no matter how slow the day is, the first time you start picking up seems like the birds start flying right to you and your unprepared! Oh ya I don't like duck skiffs in my area they go up and down the Ohio River all day long water womping sitting/sleeping ducks, and had2 different skiffs come through the decoys on Sunday asking me if I was killing any and I won't type what I said. In my area skiffs only make hunting harder than what it already is! Sorry if it offends some of you, NOT ALL of you act this way!

Quick Reply: One thing you learned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.