Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Reccomended Duck Call For Begginer >

Reccomended Duck Call For Begginer

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Reccomended Duck Call For Begginer

Old 09-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Reccomended Duck Call For Begginer

I am looking for a good duck call to start out with. Right now I have a Bill Collector HS Waterfowl I got cheap at wal-mart just to play around with. Im going to cabelas tonight, and they have 25% off all calls today and wanted to know what you guys think I should get? I would like to get a DVD that teaches the basics also. I just learned how to do the "ticket, ticket, ticket" feeding call yesterday, and cant do it really fast, but i can do it. Any good calls that come with DVD's i should look for? I hunt mostly mallards and wood ducks.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reccomended Duck Call For Begginer

The first calls i got were all duck commander calls. Igot the double reed DC-200 and fiddled with that until i could do pretty much everything that you could do with a double reed, then i got the Max-4 Camo duck commander call. I'm not sure if thats a double or a single... i got the RNT single reed wood after that. I usually practice when i'm driving. You cant go wrong with duck commander calls... the RNT quackhead calls are pretty cheap and sound decent. If you hunt woodies you might wanna check out the duck commander wood duck call. Very easy to blow, and breaks easier than the primos woodie call. just my 2 cents.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need to make a fast feed call. In fact you don't need a feed call at all to kill ducks. You need to know how to quack properly, and how to string 4-6 quacks together into a greeting and comeback call.

Best call for a beginner is a 6 in 1 whistle... if you are just interested in killing ducks anyway. You can call mallards and woodies with it.

As to the type of call.... double reeds tend to sound like ducks. Most stores will let you break them out and try them... do it... see what sounds good to you. Ask if they have someone there who waterfowl hunts.... get their opinion... you might get some schmoe who thinks he knows his stuff... or you might get an old timer who can call with the best of them.... just ask.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM

I did exactly that. Cabelas was having 25% off all calls today, and went up. I said i didnt want to spend alot, and wanted the best for my money. He imediatly broke out a package off the shelf. It was a ZINK Power Hen PH-2. Plus it came with a 48min DVD. All for $22. He said i couldnt go wrong, and so far the DVD is awesome, and already learned how to quack properly within 5 minutes. he took it out and started calling with it. Then said it was a little off. Grabbed another and started calling with that one. Said it sounded better, and another guy came walking up to me and said "Where did you get that? My buddy just got one of those and they sounded great for the price" I showed him, and he grabbed one also.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Also another thing. Whats a good decoy spread to use? We have I beileve a dozen floaters, and 2 of the wind operated ones that the wings spin. Like a mojo, but not electric. Eclectric decoys are illegal here in PA. We will be hunting a lake in the morning, and a field by a creek in the afternoon.