Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 best gauge to use for waterfowl >

best gauge to use for waterfowl

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

best gauge to use for waterfowl

Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default best gauge to use for waterfowl

what is the best gun to use for waterfowl?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best gauge to use for waterfowl

Are we talking gauges or guns?

The most versitle would of course be the 12 gauge... as you can use 3" or 3.5" BBs for field geese or passing divers and switch to 3" or 2 3/4" #3s for timber shooting. I personally do not use a 3.5" gun or shells for waterfowl hunting as I don't see the added utility is dropping yet another $1500 plus ammunition into my already over allocated waterfowl budget.

The 10 gauge is the king supreme of the goose fields and doubles nicely as a passing duck gun. I have hunted in some nasty swamps as well as the green timber of Arkansas and I would not want to tote a 10 gauge through it all.

A 20 gauge is sweet and light and has plenty enough power with the right shells and within proper range. For wood ducks and teal... its awesome and I use a BPS 20 gauge in small waters for mallards and blacks myself. Don't need a 3.5" shell to shoot a duck hovering at 25 yards.

As to the gun itself.... it needs to have three things: 1) Boom, 2) Boom, 3) Boom.

And of course it needs to fit you well... I use mostly my old 870 Wingmaster Mag, or a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard. I am however thinking about trading in the old 390 for a Benelli M2... I'm squirreling away a few clams as we speak for it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM

if your looking for guage id definentaly go with the 12guage but it really depends on what your going to be hunting and where at.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I use the 12 guage browning cynergy on open water and swith to a 20 on woods and timber hunting.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

12 gauge is the way to go IMO
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're only gonna have one gun....12 guage. Get a pump or a semi. LikeSC said, you need the capability of 3 booms.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a grenade....
Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

As to the gun itself.... it needs to have three things: 1) Boom, 2) Boom, 3) Boom.
too many benelli commercials SwampCollie

the best guage or gun is one you can consistenly hit your target with....as far as guage a 20 is plenty for any decoying ducks,with hevi-shot...a 12ga is more versatile and will offer better performance with steel.... a 3.5" gun isn't necessary, but if geese enter the equation it is nice to have that option....
Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

too many benelli commercials SwampCollie
But ain't it a cool commercial! Phil does have a way of putting things doesn't he!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Phil is definitely a character...pretty good marketing guy too.... I hunted with some of his Buddies for 10 years or so and met him quite a few times, evenshared a blind once on a teal hunt....he's probably killed more ducks with that old 16 ga.model 12 he used to shoot than any of the auto's he's been given to shoot.... dude is a killer from the word "go", most of the "tricks" that folks watch and get a kick out of his aren't unique to Phil, but it must be fun to watch him do it (honestly I've never seen any of his videos all the way through, although one of 'em,maybe number two,was filmed partlyin one of our old pits at the MegaBucks club outside of Mer Rouge, La)....

Quick Reply: best gauge to use for waterfowl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.