Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 best gauge to use for waterfowl >

best gauge to use for waterfowl

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

best gauge to use for waterfowl

Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Default RE: best gauge to use for waterfowl

A 10 guage is the way to go for waterfowl if money is no object. I do not think you can find a better gun for waterfowl than the Remington SP-10 Magnumfiring 1 3/4 oz. of WingmasterHD shot in #2 for ducks and BB for goose.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

!2 guage pump easiest to operate and most reliable
Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

As to the gun itself.... it needs to have three things: 1) Boom, 2) Boom, 3) Boom.
too many benelli commercials SwampCollie

the best guage or gun is one you can consistenly hit your target with....as far as guage a 20 is plenty for any decoying ducks,with hevi-shot...a 12ga is more versatile and will offer better performance with steel.... a 3.5" gun isn't necessary, but if geese enter the equation it is nice to have that option....
GG is right. I have done more damage with my 20.. Because I shoot it better.. A20 guage will do just as much damage as a 12 guage..You have to remember that a #4 pellet traveling 1300 fps is a #4 pellet traveling at 1300 FPS the only difference is the number of pellets when they get there. If you look at the ballistics onshotgun shell they are usually the same no matter what guageyour shooting. So don't let anyone tell you that a 12 is more deadly than a 20.. More versatile yes.. Better ammo availability, yes.. But the deadly part is completely up to the shooter.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SP10

A 10 guage is the way to go for waterfowl if money is no object. I do not think you can find a better gun for waterfowl than the Remington SP-10 Magnumfiring 1 3/4 oz. of WingmasterHD shot in #2 for ducks and BB for goose.

just like a .510 caliber bullet is the best for coyote hunting if money were no object
Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

12. period.

There are too many options with a 12...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 PM

12 gauge of any brand except any brand supporting DU go delta waterfowl they help us down in the south DU is a dead duck unless u live in canada
Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tiny boy

12 gauge of any brand except any brand supporting DU go delta waterfowl they help us down in the south DU is a dead duck unless u live in canada

not true at all

i honestly cannot believe you just posted that.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

For waterfowl and pheasants I'd only shoot with 12 guage. Yes, you can knock down ducks with less. But a 12 gives you a more broad range of loads for early season ducks to late season ducks and geese with full plumage. You want that extra punch to get through heavy down late with BBs or similar loads in a 12 3" or 3 1/2".
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM

old trusty punt gun but dont let the warden catch ya
Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

As to the gun itself.... it needs to have three things: 1) Boom, 2) Boom, 3) Boom.
too many benelli commercials SwampCollie
But ain't it a cool commercial! Phil does have a way of putting things doesn't he!
thats what got me, i bought a benelli sbe2 last year and WHOA they need to add a 4th thing, goin woo hoo after the last boom

Quick Reply: best gauge to use for waterfowl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.