Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 I want to get to the bottom of this... >

I want to get to the bottom of this...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I want to get to the bottom of this...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I want to get to the bottom of this...

Mandarin ducks. They are similar to wood ducks, but they're NOT wood ducks. Correct? I've done some research on these ducks, and they say this duck isn't native to the western hemisphere. I'm constantly overhearing people talking about "orange wood ducks;" I believe they are talking about a mandarin duck. I've seen Phil Robertson shoot one of these creatures on one of his DVD's. What is the bag limit on these ducks for the eastern flyway? Can they be found on the east coast? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I want to get to the bottom of this...

I believe they are native to china... hence the origin of the word "mandarin". I suppose being migratory a few could get lost and find they're way around the world? I know Pintails banded in Japan have been recovered in the US according to acounts in DU magazine. Also I read somewhere that a lot of the non native species such as the Mandarin Duck that are found in the wild escaped from bird habitats and/or sanctuarys... Places that have exoctic species on display for the public and sometime the birds find their way out. Could have what you saw Phil shoot be a Harlequin Duck? They are about the same size somewhat similar in the coloration just different patterns? Thats just a thought. The Harlequin duck is native to the northern pacific flyway...
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

I agree it is probably the Harley...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Nope, it was a Mandarin, and just tonit pick...Jase shot it

deke, I think you're right about the ones we have here are probably ones that have escaped from sanctuaries or other preserves.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deke12ga

I know Pintails banded in Japan have been recovered in the US according to acounts in DU magazine.
Singluar... A pintail banded in Japan was shot in Mississippi last year. The odds are astronomical. Pretty neat though. I know a few guys on the eastern shore (VA and MD) that have shot both brant and swans banded in Russia (and a few seasons ago an acquaintence showed me one he took the year prior that was not Russia.. but the USSR). USFWS bands have been recovered on the other sides of both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. A mallard released from the SCWA in the late 90s was taken a few years later in New Zealand. Most of them stay on the atlantic and miss flyways though.

You are correct by the way about the Mandarins being native to Asia.

Also I read somewhere that a lot of the non native species such as the Mandarin Duck that are found in the wild escaped from bird habitats and/or sanctuarys... Places that have exoctic species on display for the public and sometime the birds find their way out. Could have what you saw Phil shoot be a Harlequin Duck? They are about the same size somewhat similar in the coloration just different patterns? Thats just a thought. The Harlequin duck is native to the northern pacific flyway...
You are dead right about escaping non native ducks from private aviaries, and I suspect thats where the duck taken on DC 9 (bloodline) came from, but it was infact a Mandarin duck as Crowkilla pointed out. There are a few ducks taken every year that you'll read about over on the refuge that are from South America such as ringed and silver teal (probably get caught up with the bluewings in central America). I've heard of folks shooting East Indies ducks mixed in with mallards and so forth as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Halifax county NC and we have a wildfowl sanctuary named Sylvan Heights located in Scotland Neck. They do a lot with us and DU as far as having birds on hand at our banquets for display and we do the duck squat. A wood duck or somethiung colorful adds a little more pizzazz than say a mallard or white pond duck.LOL. They have told us about some of their rare birds escaping during storms and such. I know once they lost a whooping crane. That would've been a treat to see in the wild.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deke12ga

I know once they lost a whooping crane. That would've been a treat to see in the wild.
Good heavens! I'll bet the guy in charge of keeping the nets mended got sacked for that one!

I wonder what one of those things are worth?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

Nope, it was a Mandarin, and just tonit pick...Jase shot it

deke, I think you're right about the ones we have here are probably ones that have escaped from sanctuaries or other preserves.
Oh... I thought Phil shot it. anyway, thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:17 AM

For the past 3 yrs. I have had a Mandarin female which escaped from my aviary migrate south and back to my place. She always has a Woodie drake in tow and she has nested in a woodie nest box I have set up . The eggs never hatch because tho the Mandarin and Woodie are closely relatedthey seldom have any offspring hatch and if they do hatch they usually die within a day or two of hatching. This has been my experience before also.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

a few years ago a South American teal was shot at the NWR i hunt. it turned out to be one of the last two dozen that are known to be alive, and after the Game Wardens looked at i, they gave it back to him.

as far as i know the limit for them would be the same as duck. CA(where i live) reads: your allowed 7 ducks a day, no more then two hen mallards, no more then one pintail, and no ore then one canvas back, ect. but on our cards at the refuge it has a p[lace for 'other' which means if a flight of south american teal come in we are allowed to take 7 apeice....