Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How to bottom out your shoulder? >

How to bottom out your shoulder?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to bottom out your shoulder?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM

Default How to bottom out your shoulder?

I have taken a few pics of my form and it looks like my front shoulder is scrunched up. I've read that you can be the most stable when your shoulder is bottomed out and you have bone on bone contact rather than using your muscles to stabilize. I just can't seem to get my shoulder bottom out. Is there a feeling or something I can do to feel what it's like to have it bottomed out?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Default RE: How to bottom out your shoulder?

I've been wondering the same thing. My shoulder does that as well.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think with us skinny guys,it looks worse than it is.

Just draw the bow back,take a deep breathe and relax.Don't tense.I can tell your tense just by your fingertips.You are holding your figers up and away from the riser instead of just letting them lay there in a relaxed state.The problem with the shoulder is when you start pulling it back toward your ear and it doesn't appear you are doing that.

You really need to try and get the string back on your nose if possble.It might take more draw length.Maybe a little higher anchor,or both.One of the downfalls of the short a-a bows.

My front shoulder has a slight hump with or without a bow when my arm is extended.Some things just can't be changed with your body.

Washington,I believe your arm was raised more than Mo's if I remember correctly.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Could the tension in the fingertips be related to extra tension being built up in my bow arm?

Thanks for the input TFOX.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know for sure but what you can do is try raising your right elbow slightly, this should help drop your shoulder a bit, butI see no need for you to change your form. I was taught one way and thats whats comfrotable to me. I keep my elbow up above my ear. It works.

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I have taken a few pics of my form and it looks like my front shoulder is scrunched up. I've read that you can be the most stable when your shoulder is bottomed out and you have bone on bone contact rather than using your muscles to stabilize. I just can't seem to get my shoulder bottom out. Is there a feeling or something I can do to feel what it's like to have it bottomed out?

Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 AM

you have touse your conscious mind topush itdown.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Bottoming out your shoulder as you call it will cause Rotator cup problems You are better off using your back mussles.
IMO your looks pretty good

Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

To bottom out the shoulder as you speak of really is easy.
1. First Go to a wall and stand a few inches past arm's length from the wall.
2. Nowlay your hand with the palm flat against the wall with your fingers pointing to the top of the wallwith your hand at your at shoulder heigth on the wall.
3. Standing with your feet together
( and they will be pointingdown range )
lean with all your weight on your hand that is laying flat against the wall.... while your face is pointing at the wall.

4. Stand in this position for as long as it is comfortable .... notice how if you roll your shoulder up into your chin while you are leaning against the wall it is very uncomfortable... now when you roll your shoulder down to where you can comfortabley lean against the wall for a long period of time you have achieved the bottomed out shoulder that will give you the bone on bone contact that will inable you to hold steadier and at full draw for longer periods of time.... thiscan also aid you to develop a optimum low wrist grip.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks lasy forge, that's what I was looking for.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mo, first off, your form looks pretty darn good IMO. You can draw the tell tale link from your draw side elbow to the grip and everything is pretty close to inline.

One thing I would suggest with your bow arm. Rotate your elbow out slightly. It appears to be under rotated slightly. This might help you get your shouldar bottomed out better. Something I've really been working on is back tension, even with a trigger release. I noticed that if I pull pretty hard with my back as I squeeze the shot off, I can feel the pressure building in my grip hand as the bow pulls back into me slightly. When I do this, I drive tacks on the target. If I don't, well, you know.

Oh ya, TFOX is correct, us skinny dudes look worse than it is.

Quick Reply: How to bottom out your shoulder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.