Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Ten gauges in your opinion >

Ten gauges in your opinion

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Ten gauges in your opinion

Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ten gauges in your opinion

ORIGINAL: cjwink

The 10 guage is not necesssary for ducks.. I regularly hunt them with my 20.. The cost of the gun will not be as significant cost as the cost of shells.. If your having trouble hitting the ducks, try more practice.. It will be cheaper than the gun or shells..
Agreed! 10 gauges are for skybusters.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skybuster or whatever.... If I could use claymores... I would, I hate my 835... I hate steel shot even more... Ive killed with 2 3.4 shells and Ive killed with 3.5 shells...
Difference..... When I shoot... I know its gonna die.
I'll buy a 10 guage just to shoot geese with it....
Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Spike

i have a browning bps stalker 10 gauge pumpand i love it.. i use it for geese, ducks, grouse, turkey, deer.. i love it. i would buy 2 more if they still made them. but my dad bought the automatic and it was a really expensive single shot.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM

In the town I live in all the good ol' boys hunt with a "Big Ten". They swear by 'em, and I've seen geese killed at a witnessed 100 yards.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

I think it's a matter of what you prefer, sure a 10 gauge would work, but so would a 12. I don't have any need to use anything more than my 12 gauge, but I don't take 100 yard shots. Honestly, I'd rather shoot decoying ducks and geese at 20-30 yards than shoot a 10 gauge at passing birds at 100.You might shoot more birds if you tooklong pass shots, but what fun would that be?In my opinion getting the birds to work and set in is half the fun.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Spike

I have both 12&10 ga. the 10 is a 10sp i love it. although, I find that I carry the 12 on most occations. I'll use the 10 if I'm huntn' big water or field huntn' geese. Generally the 12 w/ 3.5 bb's or 2's with a pattern master will be plenty of punch.

P.S. I read that pattern master is advising not to shoot "black clouds" through their chokes. Any one else hear about this?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Ok, guys. I hunted ducks with a 410, 20 , and a 12 gauge, and even shot a 10 gauge once. But unless you are a sky busting foul, you really don't even need the 12 in 3.5 magnum. It's more fun to have the ducks right there in front of you like 10 to 20 yards, than it is to bust a bird out of the sky at 65 to 75 yards, and even if you do reach out that far and 1 out of 10 birds you shoot at falls down, how many have you crippled to die else where. Now if you aren't hitting them at close range then try a more open choke like the IC or IC Mod, and get some practice at a range not for skeet. That doesn't help much, try sporting clays thats the ticket. The 10 gauge is a nice gun but for what most hunting you would do a 12 or 20 gauge would do just fine. Unless however you just want the gun to show it off that you have one. Then by all means go for it, but for me, I'll take my birds at 20 yards with my 12 or 20 gauge all day long.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Ideezy, i've seen your show on the hunting channel, you really blast them. Why are you even considering changing anything about your set up. It appears to me that you could use a slig shot and still fill your bag. YOUR A GAME HOG! Happy Huntings.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 12 guage. If a guy wants to use a 10, let him use it. I don't care what someone uses as long as it's legal. But for all the skybusters taking 100 yard shots, you should be kicked in the nuts and have your license taking away for a few years. Skybusting waterfowl is as bad as taking an unethical shot on a 6 point bull or a trophy buck! You just shouldn't do it. If you see someone else doing it you should let them know how unethical it is!!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM

I don t think a 10 gauge would be needed when hunting waterfowl unless you are regularly shooting geese from long distances!

Quick Reply: Ten gauges in your opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.