Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Ten gauges in your opinion >

Ten gauges in your opinion

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Ten gauges in your opinion

Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Default RE: Ten gauges in your opinion

It seems that some one here has opened up a can of worms. Most of all skybusting is not illegal but all you are doing is making the birds more wise to the rest of the other hunters. Most hunt clubs don't allow it and will boot you out of the club. It is comparable to taking an unethical shot at a trophy buck, and then not track it down. That is one of my pet peeve. I hate it when someone takes a long shot at a bird and just barely hit'em then brags about it. Not that I can't do it, but it's not my style of hunting. Like most ethical hunters out there bring them in close and then cut'em down. That's the fun in waterfowl hunting, not past shooting or skybusting. Stick with the 12 or 20 it's alot better and cheaper to shoot.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Spike

I have a Browning Pump Shotgun - 10 gauge and it will out shoot the best 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch magnum you can show me.

i agree!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used a 10 ga in the past (has a Browning Gold 10 auto). The last 7 or 8 years I've been using a 12 ga (3 1/2's) - Win Sx2. I have not really noticed any drop off myself in performance. I also feel that the 12 ga is a bit more universal as well...
Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

kinda funny how this thread changed into people who own 10gauges are skybusters.
If you get your jollys off by using a single shot 410 with 71/2s thats cool too...im just foolin around haha....

but really....Do you really need a 10gauge( thats like saying do you need a 28gauge for upland game)...no....are they big and bad and friken cool..? Heck yeah! if you wanna some smoke honkers or ducks and do it in a ethical way with a 10gaby all means.

thats my 223.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got the Browning auto 10 gold 1st year out.
It was a very heavy gun and had a problem shooting the second and third round???
Sold it within 3 seasons, enough B.S. and missed waterfowl!
I currently have the Benelli super mag, semi-auto and love it.
It lines uo perfect and I also started using it for upland game. This Benelli replaces, or I should say sidelines, my Browning upland special over and under.
That's how much I like the Benelli.
The 12 ga. super mags are almost comparable to the 10's and you can use it for more than goose huntin'.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: grnhdhntr_1

I have both 12&10 ga. the 10 is a 10sp i love it. although, I find that I carry the 12 on most occations. I'll use the 10 if I'm huntn' big water or field huntn' geese. Generally the 12 w/ 3.5 bb's or 2's with a pattern master will be plenty of punch.

P.S. I read that pattern master is advising not to shoot "black clouds" through their chokes. Any one else hear about this?
The wads that federal uses in the black clouds are the reason why you are not suppose to shoot them out of a pattermaster. I am pretty sure they are the flight control wads. The pattermaster is a great tube though my buddy shoots onewith hevi-shotit is a deadly combination on ducks.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Got the Browning auto 10 gold 1st year out.
It was a very heavy gun and had a problem shooting the second and third round???
Sold it within 3 seasons, enough B.S. and missed waterfowl!
I currently have the Benelli super mag, semi-auto and love it.
It lines uo perfect and I also started using it for upland game. This Benelli replaces, or I should say sidelines, my Browning upland special over and under.
That's how much I like the Benelli.
The 12 ga. super mags are almost comparable to the 10's and you can use it for more than goose huntin'.
I too have the 10 Guage Browning Gold,I bought it new in 1999, haven't have a lick of problems with it. I will cycle shells as quick as you can pull the trigger. Rain, Snow, Ice and even falling in the mud has never jamed it. In fact the only time I had a jam was when I stuffed a 12 gauge 3.5 into it. Yep it fired but the brass expanded and stuck really good. lol If I remember right I killed a goose with that shot too. It was a good lesson learned. That was the last time I took two different (guns) gauges into a goose field. I had oneon each side, my thought was for ducks, I would use the 12 and geese I would the 10. Ya dumb move in my part, likeI said I learned from it!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

That was the last time I took two different (guns) gauges into a goose field. I had oneon each side, my thought was for ducks, I would use the 12 and geese I would the 10. Ya dumb move in my part, likeI said I learned from it!
dont sound too smart to me!!! breakin the law in my state.. as well as saftey issues