Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Black Cloud shooters A FYI >

Black Cloud shooters A FYI

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Black Cloud shooters A FYI

Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Black Cloud shooters A FYI

I have been reading a alarming number of reports of Federal Black Cloud ammo blowing up barrels

Here several links to reports
http://www.greatlakeswaterfowler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13741&highlight=black+cloud
http://www.greatlakeswaterfowler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13696&highlight=black+cloud
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=586962&highlight=Black+cloud

I just picked 3 easy threads
I have seen a bunch more

Reason I post this
A good freind was hunting with us this afternoon
He fired 2 shots at a lone goose
First shot sounded normaly loud, but had a slightly off sound
Heknocked feathers off it's butt and it droped a leg
2 shot finished it off and blew up the barrel of his SBE 2 just in front of the forearm

He was unhurt , his Finisher has a nasty tear in it
He probely lowered the barrel into it

John

Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Black Cloud shooters A FYI

scary! i shot black cloud for the first few weeks of the season
Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Spike

Johnch just trying to understand your post. Your hunting partner today had his gun blow up.? Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt, my questions are was he using blackcloud shells, shell lenth and shot size, on the blown up gun what choke was in a gun. I have used one box of blackcloud shells and have one box left, mine are 3" 4's and have only shot pheasants with them. Again glad everyone is safe. Good luck on the rest of the season.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes He was shooting Black Cloud ammo
He was shooting 3" BB with a factory Mod tube

I will have to see what the other guys were shooting when their barrels let loose

John
Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting 3" bb's and 2's out of my over and under with modified and improved modified factory chokes. I've also been shooting 3 1/2" bb's and 2's out of my Browning gold with a factory modified choke. The modified choke with Blackcloud 3 1/2" number 2's is the best combinationI've ever shot for geese in all of the years I've been hunting.(excluding super expensive stuff like bismuth) I've shot probably a total of 10 boxes of Blackcloud so far with no problems, and devestating results in the kill department! I'm gonna keep shooting it. If there is a real threat Federeal will have a recall.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I've been shooting 3" bb's and 2's out of my over and under with modified and improved modified factory chokes. I've also been shooting 3 1/2" bb's and 2's out of my Browning gold with a factory modified choke. The modified choke with Blackcloud 3 1/2" number 2's is the best combinationI've ever shot for geese in all of the years I've been hunting.(excluding super expensive stuff like bismuth) I've shot probably a total of 10 boxes of Blackcloud so far with no problems, and devestating results in the kill department! I'm gonna keep shooting it. If there is a real threat Federeal will have a recall.

do as you will but john is just saying watch out. it is better to know of a problem first that to have the problem happen to you
Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Unusual to hit the bird and blow up the barrel. I have also seen reports of this. Interestingly mythbuster's had a show about blowing up shotgun barrels and it wasn't easy for them to do.