Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Thats it I'm ADDICTED!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thats it I'm ADDICTED!

I will say without a doubt that waterfowling is THE most fun I've ever had hunting.

I went a few times as a kid with my Uncle, I never got anything but it was cool. Shot my first duck about 10years ago in France. 2 Thanksgivings ago I went goose hunting with my Brother in law. Had a great time, didn't bag anything but all in all it was fun. Past thanksgiving I went with him again, Saw quite a bit of birds, Missed a pair of mallards.
Yesterday was the CLINCHER!

Went out for an afternoon hunt. To a lake I've never been to. Just plain beautiful. So as we get there about 4mins into settin out the decoy's a pair of ringnecks fly in. From then it seemed like birds were flyin in every few mins.

I got my first hen woodie and a hen mallard. Brother in law got a black, a georgous drake woodie, drake and hen mallards and a ringneck. Other guy got a mallard and a ringneck.

I was amazed at all the different sounds waterfowl make, not just a quack or a honk. Tones, different patterns.

Also I'm not overly impressed with Steel shot. Both the woodie and the mallard required multiple shots. Shot at the outer limits of shotgun but I've made shots on pheasants at that distance before with much better results. I was using promo loads from Win and Rem. 2s.
I've been looking at trying the Blackcloud or HeviSteel. Hevi shot and the others are just outta my range at the moment.

Also had some gun issues. I was shooting my SBE I, Never really had any issues with it before. Stovepiped once, 2miss fires. Missfires could have been my fault by not letting the bolt close.

I've bought some decoys (after the first goose hunt) I don't have much (dozen greenhead mallards and a dozen goose shells). Been practiceing my calling (to and from work) Just can't wait to go again!!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thats it I'm ADDICTED!

Congrats on the good times..... Say good bye to about 300 bucks a year... duck huntins expensive... but man, its worth it
Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Say good bye to about 300 bucks a year... duck huntins expensive... but man, its worth it
LOL if you are as Addicted as I am
You will have to set aside $3,000 or more
Between the lease , shells , travel , liscense's ( 3 states ) , dog and all the other things that go into the game

John
Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

It can get expensive quick but you can still have fun for about $150 a year! It is what you make of it!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with ya on the money part.

I need to fine tune some of my things that I feel aren't working for me. But basically if ya got a gun, ammo and a place to go you can make it happen.

One of the things that I really love about this is a that theirs so many more places to hunt in my area. The ways the laws are here, as long as your 500ft (250ft on the shoreline) from buildings,and it's not fully closed to hunting you can waterfowl hunt.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, congrats on your successes! Keep it up!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Good job..
Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Welcome to the world of very cold and wet mornings. Not being able to concentrate at work because you think you hear geese outside. Looking through your Cabelas or Mack's catalog so much that the ink is starting to fade. The mud all over your grage floor. Trying to figure out ways to hunt before you go into work. Trying to figure out ways to get out of work to go huting. Holes in your waders. Not being able to feel your finger tips because you picked the duck up out of the water without your gloves....

It is the coolest feeling in the world!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it looks like you've gone and done it. Try and not crack a smile whenever you see a duck rise from the water, hear a goose honk or look at a picture of a flying V of migrating waterfowl....go on try it. I dare ya.

As someone who who stepped into the same trap a few years ago, I humbly welcome you to the ranks of the afflicted. For the last 4 years, its honks or gobbles, depending on the season, that fill my brain.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

welcome to the club! if you want some help on your calling ducks unlimited and cabelas web sites offer good tips