Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

new to waterfowl

Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: new to waterfowl

Trea I'm 28 and new to it too. I'm learnin as I;m goin. Alot of good videos, Cd and books out there.Get all ya can.

You call em, decoy em, Just like turkey you need good camo and they will flare if it aint right.

As far as calls go I know squat. I bought a Haydells single reed and been usin that. My brother in law has a Duck Commander and I like the way it sounds. I plan on one of those soon. Goose I have a Foiles Meatgrinder (?) sounds nice, but took awhile to get it where I could actually sound like a goose. Not just a kid with a kazoo.

BUT i've been told that no calling is better than bad calling.

Cabelas has their Greenhead series of decoys that aint too expensive either.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: new to waterfowl

ORIGINAL: trea

hey, im 14 yrs. old and im new to duck hunting. i deer and turkey hunt but this is my 1st year duck hunting. so i need some help. I live in claxton, georgia and i have a swamp/creek deep in the woods on my property and i've seen ducks back there before while riding 4 wheelers, but if i want to go hunting do i walk or sit down and call them like you would a turkey??? if you do call them what kind of calls do you use?
Thanks...
trea,

I used to live in Fayetteville, GA, and from what I remember, Claxton is kind of close to Ft. Stewart. If that is the case, you probably are seeing wood ducks and regular puddle ducks. If I were you, I would get down there before first light and post up next to a tree. Try to find a place with a little bit of open water and toss out about 8 - 12 decoys. Don't worry about trying to call the wood ducks - they don't listen. Your best bet on woodies is to pass shoot them. The mallards on the other hand are VERY callable. When hunting in flooded timber or in a swamp situation, you don't need to do a lot of loud calling. Clucking and quacking is all you need to do. Get a decent call and an instructional cd and you'll be in business. Straight Talk by Buck Gardner is the way to go on instructional cds.Hunting timber is best on a bluebird day because the decoys and water are more visible. If you are down there on a clowdy day, be extra still and keep your calling very subtle or they'll pick you out. Good luck.