Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Boat Motor Question

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Boat Motor Question

I boughtmy firstboat back in the summer that I use for fishing and I intend to use for duck hunting rivers this winter. My question is: Do I need to do anything special to the motor or gasoline to keep it running in the cold weather other than storing it inside when not in use? The motor is a two stroke 25 hp Mercury if that matters.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Boat Motor Question

thats the same motor i have,,so just keep good gas and a hot battery if its an electric start and you should be fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 PM

IMHO... ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS pull the fuel line off the motor and run all the gas out of the carb before you store it - even for a week, even for overnight. I didn't do it one time, and putting her in the garage for what I had planned would be a week turned into 3 months. Two years later, I'm just now getting her to start as easily as she once did - (2nd pull, no matter how cold it is). Ethanol is wreaking havoc with boat motors. We have a Center Console with twin Yamaha 225's and we put fuel additives in and change fuel filters every 50 hrs. My dealer tells me yamaha and mercury (among others) are pulling their hair out because their motors are just not designed to run on this crap.
I'm also on a kick right now of running high test gas in my 25 evinrude- seems to run much better. (hope it's not damaging anything!)
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with fechmupbud! And if you don't use it for a long period of time use stabil. I am on outboard mechanic for the Coast Guard and I have seen many gunked up fuel systems. a little preventive maintenance goes a long way!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Excellent advice guys thank you. It has been about a month and a half or two months since I have run the engine, so from whatI have read hereI might have a mess to clean up. I did disconnect the fuel line after my last use, but I'm thinking the carburator will be gunked up.SoI'm going toclean the carb this weekend.Is there anything else I should clean out while I'm in there? Thanks for your help.