Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best price decoys?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Best price decoys?

Guys,

I was wondering where you have purchased your decoys and what brand of decoys you prefer? I am currently looking at the Green Head Gear brand deeks from the Macks Christmas catalog. I am also looking to obtain some Canada Goose decoys and have been suprised at how expensive they are to buy a half dozen
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Best price decoys?

I just posted this under another person asking. Go to www.rogerssportinggoods.com and check them out. They have good deals on Avery decoys. Especially Pro-grade fullbodies, and cheaper shipping
Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: chaselton

I am also looking to obtain some Canada Goose decoys and have been suprised at how expensive they are to buy a half dozen
If you're looking to save $$$ don't get into waterfowlin...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Dumb bass, really????? Sorry for the sarcasm.. I'm more concerned with finding quality decoys as opposed to cheap low quality deeks that only make it a season or two of hard hunting.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM

my uncle makes decoys by hand , and is really good at it , he is booked solid tho for a year at least. He has won alot of contests and prizes.

Check his out and let me know what you think !

www.taylordecoys.com
Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

A hunting friend of mine uses nothing but plasti-ducks. Made by some cat in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Looks like a regular oversized plastic decoy with a good paint job, but the blocks are filled with foam, and you can empty a box of shells on one and do little more than scratch the thing.

The best commercially mass produced decoys around are Avery's. Good looking, pretty decent prices. And they hold up alright. You can get a few seasons out of them.

The best commercially mass produced decoys that will last forever are Herter's. And only cabela's has them. I buy the bodies and make my own burlap decoys. Total cost is around $100 a dozen. But cabelas sells them for around $250 a dozen. There is no better meat decoy made on a mass produced scale. The armored tough herters are fantasic as well.

For geese, just get the avery's. They are great.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 AM

I'vebeen gunning overHerters foam decoys for the 8 years and I've been happy with them (dozen Canada's, dozen bluebills, and 2 dozen black ducks - we've got a lot of them here, and they're the smartest bird in the marsh, they're like a confidence decoy and super easy to re-paint). They were my entry level rig when I got my own boat and started duck hunting. I've since added to with some heavier, locally made mallard decoys that sit like battle ships and a few others. Anyhoo, the foam decoys only drawback is the paint can get pretty beat if you really beat em up, but I don't exactly wrap them in pillows or anything. You will have them forever - as I have quite a few with pellet holes in the head, and cabela's sells the complete paint kits complete with paint scheme diagrams. The way I've kept my herters decoys in decent shape over the years is by not keeping the weights on them. Those darn weights are the death of any decoy.

I would also seriously look into the green head gear, IMHO they've got the best paint scheme's going and they hold up well apparantly. Around here, they're only about $85/dozen. The Bigfoot Canada floaters with flocked heads look amazing - I hunted over them all day yesterday and I'm getting a dozen or so. We shot a couple.

Here's a pic of one of my Herters decoys and how I rig up my weights - my friends taught me this and we do it with ALL of our decoys.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:15 AM

my bad, here's the pic

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

i use ghg decoys for both duck and goose hunting and i really think that they are the best coys for the price. they are expensive, but they look really nice and the paint takes a hell of a beating