Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck hunting

Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default duck hunting

ok guys i wont to get into duck hunting and all waterfowl hunting

i like in sullivan indiana where strip miningit in great supply which has made for hundrads of small ponds

what tips can you guys give me for finding ducks andgetting them come cloes enough to me to shot

i am buyinganew 12 mossberg 500

also what shell size should i use
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: duck hunting

Plenty of corn and you're set! LOL! Just kidding! If you have access to land with ponds on them try and sneak in there early one morning before daylight and just watch where the ducks are flying. Determine which way they're flying as well then you can set up on them and bag them. Decoys probably wouldn't hurt either.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok a few stupied questions how many decoys how far out in the water and and the biggeststupied queestion i got how to detirmine if there ducks or just a bird
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

ok a few stupied questions how many decoys how far out in the water and and the biggeststupied queestion i got how to detirmine if there ducks or just a bird
bigtime, that post cracked me up. Those are not stupid questions at all. The decoy question is something that you just have to make you best guess at. Decoy set ups for hunting out of a blind are generally a little different than if you are hunting from bushes on the side of a pond or in timber. The Ducks Unlimited website gives some good suggestions on decoy placement an positioning. One thing to remember is ducks prefer shallow water to deeper water because underwater vegetation and other food sourcesare more easily accessed.

You can usually distinguish a duck from other generic birds primarily by the size of the duck and the speed of the wing beats. Mallards, for example, are just a little bit bigger than a crow and have slower wing beats. Wood ducks are about the size of a crow and have faster wing beats and are VERY vocal. Teal are about the size of a large dove and fly fast as lightening. Geese, well you'll knowthem when you see them.The best way to learn the different types of ducks in your area is just to get out there and watch them and listen to them. If you could find another experienced waterfowl hunter to take you out a couple of times, that would help you a lot because his eyes and ears will already be trained.

Good luck brother
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

thank thathelps alot also how far up andaway would you shot at them with a pump 12 ga and when you fire is it a one shot then look like with deer or is it unload the gun and see how many hit the ground