Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Winchester Super X3 ???

Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Super X3 ???

Do any of you guys use a Winchester Super X3 for your duck gun? I use a Winchester Super X2 sometimes and I swear by it as the most reliable shotgun that I have ever owned. However, my cousin just gota new SX3 to use as his primary duck gun and it locked up on him several times this weekend. We were hunting in the rain so that might have affected it, but the rain has never bothered my SX2 so I didn't think it would have affected the SX3. Just wondering if you guys have ever had similar experiences or advice. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Super X3 ???

I have an SX3. I've hunted here in Quebec 34 days so far this season without it jamming up on me. I have two friends that also hunt quite a bit with SX-3's and haven't had a problem either.

I know one guy who had a problem when he first bought his gun. He took it straight out to the range without cleaning the gun, and the action jammed up on him. It took him a long time and many cleanings to get the gun working properly... but it works just fine for him.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mustad

I have an SX3. I've hunted here in Quebec 34 days so far this season without it jamming up on me. I have two friends that also hunt quite a bit with SX-3's and haven't had a problem either.

I know one guy who had a problem when he first bought his gun. He took it straight out to the range without cleaning the gun, and the action jammed up on him. It took him a long time and many cleanings to get the gun working properly... but it works just fine for him.

Good luck
Good, I'm hoping it is just because it is new. I was the one that told him to get it since I love my SX2 so much.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Make sure he cleans it very well. Winchester puts a ton of grease in the action. It sounds like what is happening to him is what happened here with a guy I know. I might take a couple cleanings to get it sorted out, but I would be surprised if this continued.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

I spoke with my buddy who had this happen to him and he said he just cleaned everything with paint thinner and it did the trick. For him, the piston got really gummed up with the grease and the carbon. He ended up soaking it a few times in the paint thinner before it was fixed.

Good luck.