Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Two Week Break

Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Two Week Break

Anyone else have to put up with this? Here in the lone star state we have a two week break starting today. Now, earlier this year I saw that a few of you guys up north were duck hunting during our dove season[&:]before we were even seeing teal? Do you guys have a break as well? How about those pintail/canvasback/mallard hen limits (one per day)? Is that rule the same as well?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Two Week Break

Southern Ontario we have about the best season ive seen sept24-de20, with no breaks. Very liberal limits only 1 black duck, no limit on hens, can kill 4 canvasbacks a day
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM

New York....1 smokie a day (smoke as in black duck) 2 scuap a day (bullshi* cause there were thousands of them last year around), 2 Cans a day (used to be 1, but never see em anyway) i think 1 pintail a day which ive never seen a pintail in my life and so on....anyway its all crap, you want to talk about liberals NY is the placeBut the two week break used to be every year but for some reason, they stopped it this year. Whatever the seasons in three days and it can only help
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in New Jersey we have a two week break as well. THey were just starting to fly good with the cold weather finally starting to creep in. Last Saturday the sky was absolutely full of Snow Geese as well as Canadians. Too bad those bastards know exactly when legal shooting hours have ended and come down into our set-up when our hands are tied! LOL!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM

yeah my break up here in Oklahoma just started this monday. somehow they always manage to plan it right when we get our first front that starts blowing the birds down. our limits are about as dumb as ive ever seen.. we can shoot 1 pintail a day and 1 canvasback a day west of the highway (i35) before the split, but not after. and we can shoot them east of the highway after the split but not before. then we can only shoot 5 greenheads out of our 6 duck limit (as though shooting a sixth one would really start hurting the population). then we can only shoot 1 specklebelly a day and 3 honkers. how they determine this i do not know. other than that i dont really have a problem with the limits but its pretty much a joke. i honestly think they flip coins to see who can shoot what.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:28 PM

In Tennesse we have a one week break. We start back Sat. the same day we play for the SEC championship against LSU. GO VOLS!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM

here in western kansas we have a five day break after deer season ends. a 2 week break during deer season would make more sense.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I DO understand is the different times of hunting seasons for different areas (some start in Sept. some in Oct, ect) because of the times that the birds are migrating.

What I DON'T understand is why all the limits are not the same. In Oklahoma, if I am not mistaken, you can shoot 6 ducks. In Texas you can only kill 5. Why is that?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

jim; they are testing a new limit in the central flyway to see if it results in fewer hens and pintails being shot. half of the states in the flyway have the hunters choice limit the others have the full limit.