Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Quill Lake Saskatchewan

Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Quill Lake Saskatchewan

I just finished up with my first trip up to Saskatchewan. We had a great shoot the first couple of days with the snows, then it slowed up. We hunted ducks in the fields for a few daysall the while seeing new snows showing up. Friday night wehad done our scouting andgotten permission when we heard the news.

There was a poultry opperation in Sk that had the bird virus. TheU.S. govt closed the boarder to all birds including waterfowl. We had to leave our harvest behind.The lodge owner said that he would be able to give them away but,I am sure they are allcoyote food. The worst part is by the time we made it intothe boarder crossing in Manitoba on Sunday morninig, they had lifted the waterfowl ban. We could have brought our birds with us.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quill Lake Saskatchewan

Hey Jay,
I was over north and west of you, east of Lloydminster. I heard on the radio that 4,100 birds were siezed from hunters by mistake. I crossed the border at Vancouver, and US Customs almost siezed my birds too. There were hunters in front and in back of me who had hunted in Alberta...no problem. I asked one guy to check, and he made a few calls, finding out that the ban was only intended to cover chickens , not migratory waterfowl.
The ban didn'tmake any sense. Take the hunter's birds, but let the millions fly across the border on their own.