Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New waterfowler in SD

Old 09-24-2007, 03:10 PM

Default New waterfowler in SD

i recently got a house in mcpherson county in SD and am looking to hit the ducks really hard since i have seen so many during pheasant hunts out there but have no experience at all as to how to hunt them and i live near the lake Long Lake if anyone is familiar to that lake its where i was thinkign to maybe just set up some decoys but am not sure if anyone has some advice i would appreciate it. Also i go out there near novemver 3rd and thanksgiving time.[/align][/align]THANKS[/align]
Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New waterfowler in SD

decoys, call, and a little patience. You will get some! Maybe a call tape to learn the basic calls. A little pre scouting on your part will tell you where to hunt. Good Luck
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You live in south dakota and want to hunt waterfowl. If it were me I would be sticking to pheasants, the only reason I hunt waterfowl is cause there arent very many pheasants left in utah. Of course I had the choice between goose hunting in canada or pheasant hunting in south dakota. Funny thing is I took the canada trip. Good luck, How far from kimball, thats where I hunt for pheasants?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 AM

actually we go out and hunt the crap out of pheasants every year we go out for 3 days my whole family since we dont live in South Dakota we own a nice house out there im originally form ny and we have a house in mcpherson long lake SD like top central of the state to the right of the river but i am not familiar wiht kimbell idk but yea we get like 40 pheasants when we all go out but want to get osme duck this year as well haha
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

decoys, call, and a little patience. You will get some! Maybe a call tape to learn the basic calls. A little pre scouting on your part will tell you where to hunt. Good Luck
Waders and a retriever.. Dog or Boat..
Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Ditto with waders and a dog if you can. Don't forget the most important part, shoot'em in the face!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM

what are decoys may ineed to buy for a early to mid november duck hunt on asmall lake in south dakota in theNE part of dakota???
thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

The decoys depend on the ducks in the area. Match what is around your area and you should be fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: huntingbuddy419

You live in south dakota and want to hunt waterfowl. If it were me I would be sticking to pheasants, the only reason I hunt waterfowl is cause there arent very many pheasants left in utah. Of course I had the choice between goose hunting in canada or pheasant hunting in south dakota. Funny thing is I took the canada trip. Good luck, How far from kimball, thats where I hunt for pheasants?
I wouldent quite go that far... I live in SD and have for a while and I've only had maybe a handful of times when I havent limited out, use google earth and look at Webster, SD and you will know what I mean..... its a waterfowlers dream