Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Strategy advise

Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Strategy advise

I have been hunting a new alphapha field all season and have been getting between an average of 3 geeseeach morning I hunted. The geese fly off the roost in another direction early in the am and show up at this green field about 8:30. They have been going to this field in the evening also. Today they wacked the cornfield next to it but the geese still went to the green field.They will be hitting the cornfield soon and I dont know where to setup tomorrow.

My question is, would you setup in the green field that they were in tonite or move operations to the fresh cut cornfield?

Old 09-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strategy advise

Unless the geese will not decoy to you in the green feild
I would not move

But if at all posible I would set up in a location as to be in the flight path of the geese if they decide to hit the corn
That way you can decoy them also

Good luck

John
Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with john. There have been several occasions where I have set up in two fields. Then made a blind on the fence row. Best of both worlds. They will most deffinately hit the corn so probably just play it by ear.

Might move anyway, if you are hunting that one field repetively. Birds may steer clear!
Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the replies!!...As it turned out, another group beat me to the hot green field on Saturday, They have found my honeyhole. They asked me to join them but I had another green field that I have been wanting to try so I declined. When I got to my new spot, I found they had cut the big cornfield on that farm. I was about 1 mile from the original field and all 700 +geese flew right over the other guy's in my original field and came right to me!!!! I limited out in 45 minutes and the other guy's didnt fire a shot. I found out later that all the geese completely ignored the other guy's spread all morning.

It pays to be lucky sometimes!!! I will never figure out what makes them switch patterns so quickly but it was nice to be on the right side of the coin for a change.

Good luck and thanks.

Good luck and thanks