Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

There a Flyin!!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default There a Flyin!!

Man this weekend I seen more geese in the air then I have previously been seeing! That only means one thing... Season is coming. Man i can't wait!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Default RE: There a Flyin!!

Yeah I imagine theis are quite a few up by you! Their are a lot just south of you as well. It's going to be a good early season!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, there is a bunch. Where are you located? I can't wait to start dustin feathers!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 AM

THE GEESE ARE ALSO STARTING TO FLY PRETTY GOOD IN NORTHERN ILLINOIS. SEPTEMBER FIRST WE CAN KILL FIVE A DAY I CANT WAIT. WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO WHEN HUNTING OVER CROPS THAT ARE STANDING ANY TRICKS YOU GUYS CAN SHARE....................IN SOY BEAN FIELDS I USE TRUE MOTION STAKES AND HALF SHELLS TO GET THEM UP OVER THE BEANS AND ANY LITTLE WIND MAKES THEM DANCE AROUND PRETTY GOOD.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Mulie I'm located in West MI, by Holland area...We do a lot of hunting between Holland & South Haven for geese. We also get up towards Sand Lake area as well. We have a lot of fields south of us, and also some good loafing & roosting ponds. Were just starting to see more & more starting to move around in the last week or so. At least in bigger numbers...

Goosebuster I don't do any hunting in standing soybeans or corn just because we do a lot in wheat & hay feilds early season. Around here I rarely will see geese land in a soybean field that is standing...Maybe sometimes in alfalfa if it's real short and thier isn't much around for other crops. I would stick to hunting wheat & hay fields during early season unless you have access to cut corn fields. Try also to stick near water just because in early season geese fly as short as possible to feed because of the temps. I would imagine if you find them on water try to find the closest wheat field and get permission. Then follow the birds to see where they go...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I second that, I don't think I've ever seen geese in a field with standing crops. Maybe very rarely when the soybeans are coming up...2 or 3 inches high, but other than that never. Ususally around here wheat fields are the key for early season being the only grain fields harvested.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

ugh...double post
Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope there's a few left up north when I get to Sask. in late Sept. I'm hoping to see some feathered out mallards this season. I usually go up earlier in Sept, but this season I'll beinthe fields endof Sept and first week of Oct.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM

anybody in antero canada notice any activity?