Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Jumpin some ducks

Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Jumpin some ducks

hey guys, im a rookie with duck hunting....I mostly hunt big game and upland...but this year I want to try some waterfowl. anyways Id like to know what kind of gear I would need for some good ol fashion jump shooting, (calls, camo, ect..) Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jumpin some ducks

If you are gonna jump shoot only, all you need is a shotgun. If you are going to try and decoy birds, you can start with just a handful of decoys and a call. Then you build from there. I would suggest watching a little outdoor channel or going to the library and getting a book. Good Luck!

Edit- a good location will be very important, if not the most important.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thats how I started out duck hunting, and didnt do to bad. The best way to hunt ducks with the minimal equipment I found out is to find a spot where you see ducks every day and go and sit there the next morning and shoot them as they come in. All you need is some waders, shot gun, and alot of bullets in my case because I miss alot.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM

thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:23 PM

lol ive found out its very very very very very very very hard to jump shoot geese. They always have one goose with its head up. I havent tried jumpin ducks though. If your gonna try it with geese though, get a gun, hevi-shot (knocks em down every time) and possibly a ghillie suit
Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

all you need to jump shoot is waders, shotgun, and shells. I like to do it ocasionally it is pretty fun. If you want to decoy waterfowl thats another story.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Please don't start duck hunting . Turn back before its to late . I starts with jumping a ditch then a river ,then you pick up a few dec's then a call . Next thing you know you've 50-60 dec's 8-9 calls a lay out blind ,a skiff lay out and a closet full of shadow grass camo, drooling over the next generation robo duck . it's not worth it .

If you have to some simple camo that is close to what you hunt and a plugged shotgun you shoot well that will handle steel in 4s up to bbs , a 20 will serve for the little ducks to 25 yds get a 12 for mallards and red heads out to 40-45 . 3" is enough all I shoot is 2 3/41s&bs Kent fasteel will let you whack the errant goose .
Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

That's how I started duck hunting and it's been fairly expensive since.....
I love it though. I love the stalk. How close can we get before they know we're there. Sometimes we'll just sit and watch behaviors beforetheytake wing.Pick out exactly which bird you want to shoot or not.
I don't like to clean divers so I don't pull the trigger on them anymore. Hacked my old dog off but he would forgive me as soon as he got a retrieve.

Geese are harder this way. Darn tattle tale mallards get up first and rat you out.
New pup this year. Can't wait for early teal season.