Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
The spread, does it matter?  (poll) >

The spread, does it matter? (poll)

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

The spread, does it matter? (poll)

Old 12-18-2002, 09:28 PM

Default The spread, does it matter? (poll)

I have read and read on decoy spreads. I think the outdoor magazines thrive on my kind...

Does it matter on how you spread your dekes?

Does the water make a difference (open water vs. creeks or rivers)?

What is the best general spread pattern?

By the way, I live in Ohio where I do not seem to see a major migration like on TV. Am I missing it?
Old 12-19-2002, 08:16 AM

Default RE: The spread, does it matter? (poll)

If you read the books do try some of the suggestions. They really do work with some birds. Experience will still be the best teacher. Do always leave a landing zone as this is where you want the birds to set in. Even if you hunt a little creek with a half dozen decoys if you have a landing area you are more likely to pull birds in. good luck to you.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:51 PM

I'd suggest The Complete Hunter: Duck Hunting. It's in The Hunting and Fishing Library by Cowles Creative Publishing, Inc.

it has EVERYTHING you need to know about decoys as well as many other things. Plus it has all the North American species of duck, info on all of them, as well as tons of BEAUTIFUL color photos.

Good stuff.
In the meantime, remember this: Ducks are like planes, they want to land in a cross wind. Find which way the wind is goin and give the ducks a good landing zone. They dont want to go over other dekes to land near you either.

----------------------------------
just gotta hunt
Old 12-20-2002, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waterfowling really depends on a few things:

1. The birds gotta want to be there. If they don't, it's much harder to pull 'em in. Food source and safety areas are good places to focus on.
2. Good calling always helps.
3. Your spread and concealment make up the last parts of this combo. If you leave a good landing spot like the other's mentioned, you can often 'force' the birds into your best shooting lane.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:38 PM

Cool,

I have a haybale bling in fall flight pattern. Spread was never much of a problem when I hunted larger areas, however now I am trying to hunt the creeks and streams during freezeovers. The ducks are very high in the air and do not even seem to look at my spread whether it is 5 or 25 dekes. Can you help with these circumstances? Thanks.