Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoy suggestions????

Old 12-11-2002, 07:22 AM

Default Decoy suggestions????

After a 20 year layoff, I am going to get back into waterfowl hunting. What spurred this is the invitation (or begging) from a buddy of mine, who knows I can blow a call well, and he cannot. It has been quite a while since I have duck hunted, so I thought I would give it a shot again. Little did I know how out of shape my lungs were, but I got excited again when that first flocked dropped out of the sky into the deeks. I know I am a bit late in the season to buy them, but I wiil then have them for next year.

Anyway, I am wondering and wanting information on colapsable(foam, rubber, ect.) duck decoys. What are the best ones out there for the money, but the price isn't much of an object. I would like everyone's information and input on what and where to get some collapsable mallard, wood, golden eye, merganser, blue and green wing teal, and pintail decoys.

Thanks a million,
Rich
Old 12-11-2002, 08:30 AM

Default RE: Decoy suggestions????

g&h decoys is the way to go

stateline outdoors
Old 12-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Spike

If you are just looking still, check out www.herters.com
Myself, I dont care for the foam rubber things. I would go ahead and buy a couple dozen of quality decoys like G&H. I also like CarryLite. They arent real expensive, and if weight is an issue, they are fairly light. Apparently they look good nuff, cuz we killed a bunch of ducks over them.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like weight is your main issue. I can tell you for a fact that you don't want the carrylights. You have to put your mouth on their cold buts to inflate them like a beachball. About 15 years ago I had some sort of rubber ducks that looked good but would inflate themselves when you pulled them out. Just had to smash them to put them back away. Not for sure, but think they were also carrylights but maybe a diffent style perhaps. Best bet is to find you a 14 or 15 year old hunting buddy that doesn't mind carrying a few decoys for the opportunity to spank some ducks.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Also having a good (extra) set of size 11 waders may help your situation tremendously. Not sure exactly what you need but just trying to read between the lines a little with only words in front of my face. What is that Discusdad always says? "For every kid you take hunting, a new decoy carrier is born?" Get the solid super magnums with long strong cords and good heavy weights!