Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 cant find any number on the band >

cant find any number on the band

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

cant find any number on the band

Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Default cant find any number on the band

i shot my first banded duck this year but cant read the # of it. any ideas on what i shoud do?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cant find any number on the band

I have heard of the USFWS doing some sort of acid etching to recover the #s from very worn/thin bands.

The # to call is 800 327 BAND. That is assuming its a Laurel, MD or USFWS band. One way or the other, they should have some information as to what course of action you can take. But, nice as it would be to hear that ducks story, tread lightly, occasionally with send ins, people don't get their bands back....up to you, but give a call and see what they say.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 AM

The Collie is correct in what he said but if you send it in and request that it be returned they will return it. Call the number he listed and they will give the address and help you.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM

i wouldnt send it in .... just my honest opinion .... i had a band i called in and was told it didnt exist !! then was asked to send it in ... then i asked when i was to get it back and the person told me that varies, AND they have been known to be lost in transit !!! that stopped the whole show right there !! lol... ended up takin digi-pix of it and then sum magical way they found the info on the non-existent band !! lol .... bout the band being worn ... my cousin killed one a few years ago that couldnt be read ... he went home and used "simple green" (cleaning agent) and scrubbed it down real good ... then when held under a strong light ya could barely make out the numbers to be called in ... would be great to find out how old, where it was banded, etc ... but to me not worth the chance of losin ya band !
Old 01-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

try coloring the whole thing with a pencil,that might make the numbers show.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:42 PM

thanks for all the help