Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 If you live/work/play on the right coast... >

If you live/work/play on the right coast...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

If you live/work/play on the right coast...

Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you live/work/play on the right coast...

then you better cut work/school tomorrow! Because I can't cut work...and I need all of you to go sit on the front side of the cold front coming down the Atlantic Flyway and shoot my limit for me tomorrow. And don't stiff me with 2 Hoodies and a Hollywood either!

I got to hunt this morning...it was 65 (sixty-bloody-five!) degrees when I left the house. By 9:30, it was 50 with a north wind at 10 and I had my limit (finally! First full strap of the year!). Managed two mallards (D, H), a woody(D), a GWT(D) and a black duck(H). The puppy did exceptionally well...and my shooting was in rare form. I suppose the wind made it impossible for the ducks to hear my calling...lest I wouldn't have seen a damn thing.

Its already down to 37 outside and its gonna be 22 in the mornings. Hope everyone gets to hunt tmw...no matter which flyway you are in!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 PM

Default RE: If you live/work/play on the right coast...

today was bluebird and no wind... all the water round here was froze up so i did some jump shooting. Mallards and blacks up the wazoo. coulda killed as many buffleheads and ganzers as i wanted, but they're trash.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:31 PM

I won't be able to make it in the morning.(Work) But you better beleive that I will be out Saturday morning with a vengence. LOL!! Going to blast some ducks.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:47 PM

i just got to go today because the weather was too cold for work. Masonry, and it was about 15-20.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: skip0ls

i just got to go today because the weather was too cold for work. Masonry, and it was about 15-20.
I would say that you are lucky but masonary is hard ass work. Good luck on them ducks man. Blast'em!!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

excuse my ignorance as i am fairly new to duck hunting, but what is jump shooting? finding ducks on the water and jumping them up and then shooting?

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: krabbiepatty

excuse my ignorance as i am fairly new to duck hunting, but what is jump shooting? finding ducks on the water and jumping them up and then shooting?

Thanks,
Yes. More like a waterborn quail shoot. Only they don't hold as well. Especially wood ducks. Its about as tough as sneaking up on a turkey. All depends on the type of watercourse you are hunting. Winding creeks, beaverdams, high marsh grass....all help considerably.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 PM

normally its ocean... or ponds right on the beach, sneaking isn't easy. lots of times we set up around a pond and have someone "shack" or scare the ducks out, they fly over us, we shoot. I've been doing real well, mallards, and blacks as much as i want, and brant and geese whenever i get real fired up.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skip0ls

lots of times we set up around a pond and have someone "shack" or scare the ducks out, they fly over us, we shoot. I've been doing real well, mallards, and blacks as much as i want, and brant and geese whenever i get real fired up.
I don't think I'd admit that to too many people...seeing as how that is illegal....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 PM

how so?