Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

X-pert shells

Old 11-21-2002, 03:36 PM

Default X-pert shells

Does anyone use these shells? I have not had very good luck with the 3" 2's. The pellets hit the duck but it doesn't seem to kill very many. Anyone else have problems with these or recomend a different shell that is not too pricey?Thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 08:53 AM

Default RE: X-pert shells

I'm fairly new to duck hunting, but I recently looked into those shells. They're pretty slow, only ~1300 fps @ the muzzle. If the ducks are close, then they're probably OK. Out over 35 yds, they aren't too good. I used the Remington Sportsman's with the same problem. Feathers would fly, but the duck went on. I switched to some faster shells (3.5" Rem's that my buddy had) and knocked them down on the first shot.

I'm going today to by a bulk pack of Winchester Super-X Dry-lok High-Vel. They are rated at 1500 fps w/ #2's or #4's and are costing $40 for 100 shells (4 25-shell boxes), plus a $7.50 rebate from Winchester. Bass Pro special.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:18 PM

I had similar problems with the X-perts. I also encountered a large number of cripples with them. I have switched to Kent FASTEEL and love it.

Save the sport. Take a kid hunting twice and hook them for life!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

You get the full pattern on them and the experts work great. Just have to learn the limits of them. I don't shoot past 40 and at the limit of that it usually takes another shot. You get what you pay for is basically what it amounts to. Try upgrading to the drylocks.